IGNORED

Suspension / handling questions

The previous owner of my '03 RSMV lowered the front by moving the forks up the triple tree one inch. He did this because he was shorter, but I am 6'3" and thought that I may like the bike a little higher. Really, for no particular reason as it looks fine and seems to handle OK as it is. I saw on some other postings that some say the bike handles better with the front lowered like this. If so, I am fine with leaving it as it is. Mine is the only 2nd Gen I have ridden so I have nothing to compare it to and would appreciate any input. :scratchchin:What has been your experience? Does the bike handle better with the front lowered?:scratchchin:

Thanks!

Don

Does the bike handle better with the front lowered?:scratchchin:

Back to the original question...

I'm one of the inseam challenged (27") members of the group and would like to lower the front. What difference should I notice, aside from being able to almost get both heels down, at the same time?

I lowered the front of my 99 one and one-fourth inch a year ago because of the improved handling claimed on this site. I did not need the lower seat height, so this was just an experiment for me.

The thing I noticed immediately was the improved low speed responsiveness in turns. I would never have thought that such a slight change in geometry would make that much difference. I don't feel much change at road speed.

It may be my imagination, but I do seem to feel an increase in "harshness" over bumps through the handle bars. The fairing may be bouncing just a bit more on ruff roads. Not enough to bother me or make the bike feel uncomfortable. But I feel it's there.

I'm not a very aggressive rider, so dragging peggs sooner is not a issue for me. I wouldn't go back to stock height.