IGNORED

Neutral Light Problems

keyscruising

Hi Guys,

I'm the new owner of an 85 venture. There is a weird thing going on with the neutral light. When you first start the bike it works as advertised. After you ride for a while and the bike gets hot the light will no longer work. Not only that but the bike no longer knows when it's in neutral. What I mean is even if the bike is in neutral and you put side stand down the bike will shut down as if it was in gear. If you let the bike cool down for a couple of hours and start it up the light works fine again and side stand will not shut off the bike if put down when in neutral. Any ideas??

Edited by keyscruising
spelling

Welcome to the group!!! BTW brown 85's are the fastest!!!!!! my scoot is doing the same thing and has done it all summer. It is the neutral switch that is the culprit down by your left foot behind the rear cover. you need a llooonng screwdriver, patience and steady hand to replace it. I noticed mine was cracked last winter when the engine was apart and like a stupid fool I opted not to replace it as my parts list was already getting pretty high.

Make sure you seal that up real well when putting it back together.

Here is a link to Part shark and their fiche http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=45189&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1985&fveh=127 its item 8 under electrical2

Oh Yeah, get the O-ring for it too!!! yours is 25 yrs old and brittle.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Look at this thread for some info on neutral switch.

There is a PDF file at bottom of thread that has some pictures of the switch and its home.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40639]Gear position Indicator upgrade for standard Ventures (Non-Royales) - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Gary

:rain2:

I have the same problem and have spent a couple of years stopping only where there was a hill or a friend to push, if the stop were to be less than 10/15 minutes. I have since learned that if your clutch switch is working (which you can check by setting the cruise control and pulling the clutch in a little, it should cancel the cruise), you can start the bike with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in. I had to take the clutch switch apart and clean it so that it moves freely.