IGNORED

wining noise

I get quite a bit, but after a while she quiets down. It is the hammering on the helmet when I get up to 85 that is really annoying.

Maybe ya'll need to replace that "item"...:rotf:

To answer the question tho... at 65mph (104.6 kmh) I get very little in 5th and none in 4th. Below 100 in 5th and I can hear it but it's not too bad.

Prior to changing my clutch basket to the I-basket, I could not stand to run at 65 (indicated), which was actually 60 after correcting the speedo error. It drove me nuts. Unfortunately, 60-62 is where I usually cruise on 2-lane roads. So, I always ended up running in 4th just so I didn't have to hear the scream.

After changing the basket, I have very very little whine above 60 in 5th. None at all at 65-70 (at least I can't hear it with my helmet on).

For me, it was worth the time and money to change baskets. Others have reported varying degrees of success though.

Might want to give MotorKote a try....it very well could help.

It would seem that not all whines are created equal.

Between 50 and 65 in 5th Mine is really bad but it gets quieter as speed increases. Once I get to around 65 it is barely audible in comparison to the engine noise, exhaust noise (OEM exhaust) and the wind. Anything above 70 or so, I cannot really hear it at all.

I deal with it by not shifting into 5th until I'm above 65 or 70 or so.

I get quite a bit, but after a while she quiets down. It is the hammering on the helmet when I get up to 85 that is really annoying.

Yea. I solved the helmet hammering by installing helmet headsets. Unfortunately the whine is worse than ever unless I set the ol' IC to 0... But then the dreaded knocking comes back.

where can you get motorkote and how much do you use?

Might want to start reading here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39828&highlight=motorkote

Despite all the dire warnings about additives, I have not seen any proof whatsoever that MotorKote has any negative effects on a wet clutch system. And, the folks who make it assured me that it was safe for use in all motorcycles. Of course, they have a vested interest in selling it too. :whistling:

You can order it directly from them: http://www.motorkote.com

I'm not affiliated with them at all, just someone who has had great experiences with the product.

just returned from a Yamaha dealer...had the clutch basket replaced on my '05 midnight venture, Man what a difference, my scooter whined like a democrat on fox news..:)

like a different bike now !!

I'm a new member and really appreciate the info here !!

Thanks guys !!:Venture:

Mine doesn`t whine......... It SCREAMS............it is out of warranty so I`ll have to tough it out till I come up with what ever they want for the basket, any one know how much they run??

I really need to get together with some of you other guys here in Houston and see what you're talking about. Mine makes more of a whoooshing or whistling sound at certain rpms, but never enough that it bothers me terribly. As others have mentioned, it seems to be around 60-65 on the speedo in 5th. But then again, my wife claims that I'm going deaf, so maybe it's there but I just don't hear it...

If you do not wear earplugs you may want to try these. I got a set of reusable earplugs from Earplugsuperstore.com, click on the link for motorcycles, they're called Quietear reusable earplugs. They DO NOT block a lot noise like most earplugs, but they totally eliminate the high pitch whine from the clutch basket. The only downside that I've found is they increase low pitch sounds from the tires. For those that wear earplugs, I wouldn't recommend them. They are bout $10 for one set.

Ok, How do you tell that you received an "I" Basket?? are they stamped some where?? has any one compared there original to an I basket to see the diference?? or is it even visable??

It's engraved on the back. Other than the engraving there is no visible difference.

Sure is an audible difference on mine though.

myself and Ponch traded bikes last week for about 20miles, I had gotten used to mine until I rode his, his hardly makes a sound, he even commented on my beast, kind of like stepping on a cats tail...LOL give me a shout some time yama, I would like to meet up with you...

Kreg

Sounds good. Now that I'm back on the road after she sat in the garage for nearly a year, I'm always looking for an excuse to get out and go. Are you the one that mentioned the automotive store in Waller that sells 44K? Now that my carbs are clean I was thinking of running over that way to pick up a can to keep them that way. Is FM 1488 from the Woodlands a decent road to ride, or just a lot of stop lights?

That was probably Gunboat that mentioned the 44K, but the A-Line auto parts store in Waller sells it. 1488 not all that great from I45 to Magnolia, Magnolia on to Hempstead is not bad, there are some real nice 90degree twisties out by feildStore community.. Looks like this week end is going to be great, if you get out this way, give me a call 281-802-6772 =Cell

Kreg

Sounds good. Now that I'm back on the road after she sat in the garage for nearly a year, I'm always looking for an excuse to get out and go. Are you the one that mentioned the automotive store in Waller that sells 44K? Now that my carbs are clean I was thinking of running over that way to pick up a can to keep them that way. Is FM 1488 from the Woodlands a decent road to ride, or just a lot of stop lights?

Yamaman, depending on the time of day you're going, 1488 can be miserable. It's a parking lot at the evening rush hour traffic.

Give me a call. I'd be happy to ride over to Waller with you. I'm in Tomball.

832-622-0918

Oh yeah, and about Kreg's screamer, IT'S PRETTY LOUD!

My understanding of the clutch basket upgrade is that you need the next letter size up from the one that's in your bike. Say you have a "C" basket, you need a "D". I really don't know anything about the differences in the baskets or why some are noisier than others, but here's an interesting article about the subject.

from [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=293139]http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=293139[/ame]

Guys,

Yes a V-Max clutch basket will work in a RSV or RSTD (even any of the 1st gens). However like I have pointed out in the past, it depends on which basket (primary driven gear) you have in your bike now.

In fact I did this myself when I rebuilt my 93 and found that my Barnett fiber plates had been eaten up by the basket and destroyed it. But it wasn't a big thing because I had a V-Max bottom end laying there that I had taken the heads off and put on the 93. Since the basket looked good, I wend ahead and finished assembling it with the V-Max basket. And to my surprise when I took her out on the maiden voyage, I now had a loud chirper. Turns out that I had replaced a "G" basket with a "F".

I'll cut this story short and get to the point, where you really need to see which gear you have in your bike now. Just remove the basket and look at the alpha character hand etched on the back side of the gear. If you have an "F" gear, it most likely can be replaced and cured by a looser "G" gear.

Hope this helps,

Rick

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=292323#post292323]I basket no good!!!!! - Page 2 - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Jack,

I really think that the "I" basket is being used as a cure-all for any primary gear whine. However it's my experience that the "I" basket (aka Primary Driven Gear) will only cure the problem when the bike currently has a "H" basket in it. I have cured a bike with a "F" basket by replacing it with a "G" basket.

If I were you I would check with the dealer that did the change and see which basket came out of it. There will be an alpha character hand etched on the back side of the gear, not anything stamped on the gear. And I'm thinking that they should have the basket setting on a shelf. The problem with checking which gear you have is that you have to completely take the basket out to see the backside of the gear.

Good luck,

Rick