IGNORED

Clutch slipping in 3rd

41K, 99, Rotella T 15W/40 w/1K on it.

My clutch will only slip in 3rd, at WOT, going up hill.

Now I know I can prevent this by NOT going WOT in 3rd up a hill but... :)

I swear when I first starting reading this and the other Venture board that I read something about "tightening" up the clutch plate by using the washers from sparkplugs (which ones I cannot remember) behind the bolts. This prevented the unwarranted slipped. Unwarranted because the friction plates still had plenty of material but due to design it would slip or something to that affect. Does this sound familiar to anyone!?

I like cheap fixes but will dial up Barnett's if I gotta.

Some say just replaceing the springs, will fix it.

Some say replace the springs with V-Max Springs, ( I am not sure of the details on this )

some say, the original plates don't wear out, only the springs get weak.

Some say, replace the Pressure Plate assembly with the "Barnett Unit "

and leave the original plates in use.

Some say, replace the entire clutch assembly with the " Barnett, plate set, and Barnett pressure plate assembly.

OK, mine started slipping bad, at high speed around 25K, I installed the Entire Barnett plate set, and new pressure plate. 65K now and It Does Not Slip !!!

Ref: The Entire Barnett replacement clutch, cost about the same as and entire New OEM replacement.

Hmmmm...maybe it was putting the sparkplug washers on top of the springs (or underneath) that I heard. Would help to "tighten" up the springs.

I think maybe I'll try the spring route first. It's mildly annoying when I'm towing. I just avoid the situation described above when possible. It's fine everywhere else.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I had slipping in 3rd, 4th & 5th.

Replaced my plates and added a heavier spring from PCW believe. There is an article by Tartan Terror shown below in related posts.

Made a HUGE difference. Seemed alot snappier all around!

Jay

41K, 99, Rotella T 15W/40 w/1K on it.

My clutch will only slip in 3rd, at WOT, going up hill.

Now I know I can prevent this by NOT going WOT in 3rd up a hill but... :)

I swear when I first starting reading this and the other Venture board that I read something about "tightening" up the clutch plate by using the washers from sparkplugs (which ones I cannot remember) behind the bolts. This prevented the unwarranted slipped. Unwarranted because the friction plates still had plenty of material but due to design it would slip or something to that affect. Does this sound familiar to anyone!?

I like cheap fixes but will dial up Barnett's if I gotta.

Some say just replaceing the springs, will fix it.

Some say replace the springs with V-Max Springs, ( I am not sure of the details on this )

some say, the original plates don't wear out, only the springs get weak.

Some say, replace the Pressure Plate assembly with the "Barnett Unit "

and leave the original plates in use.

Some say, replace the entire clutch assembly with the " Barnett, plate set, and Barnett pressure plate assembly.

OK, mine started slipping bad, at high speed around 25K, I installed the Entire Barnett plate set, and new pressure plate. 65K now and It Does Not Slip !!!

Ref: The Entire Barnett replacement clutch, cost about the same as and entire New OEM replacement.

Did you change the basket as well or is that not available? Mine is slipping also, 59K miles. Second clutch I believe. The spring is much heavier then the stock one. I was looking to go to the Barnett, they make some good stuff but I also would like to calm down the chirp if possible so the other option would be to buy the "I" basket from a Yamaha Dealer.

Jerry

Hey Ken

The spring we are refering to is a round piece of spring steel. Click on the link and there is a picture of a heavy duty racing spring. If you want to ride two up in 3rd gear up hill with WOT, the racing spring is the way to go.

http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Not what I was expecting. ;)

I have a 86 triked out and I am running two stock springs. It is hard to pull put NO slipping even if I hold wot all the time on the trike. I also pull a trailer most of the time and after putting in the two stock springs one on top of the other My bike does not slip at all.

Bikenut