I didn't see this topic posted anywhere, so here goes.

I just recently purchased my '05 RSTD and my 1st mod was to install a Kury run-turn-brake controller. As part of that mod I had to change the rear amber signals to red, so I bought the red lenses available from Kury. That's when it became interesting...

Much to my dismay, I discovered that Yamaha used non-standard bulbs in their signals. I'd expected to find the 1156's in the rear, but they were different. The pins are not directly opposite each other (180 degrees), instead they are about 130 degrees offset.

I can't see a number on them either. I've gone to all available auto parts shops in search of clear bulbs with this odd pin configuration and no one has been able to help me. In the meantime, I took a pair of clear 1156's and ground off one of the pins. Since the sockets are nice and snug, they're staying seated just fine. I don't like this as a permanent solution.

Having found this in the rear signal, I took the lense off a front signal to see what they did there. Again, a non-standard bulb.

This summer I bought a 2009 v-star 250 for my wife to learn on. The signals look the same from the outside so I decided to investigate the bulbs in them. To my delight I found that these use the 1156 (rear) & 1157 (front), so no problems there.

I'm interested in finding out how others have dealt with this, short of replacing the signals. Some day I may upgrade to LED's, but don't know where I'd get them with these strange bases.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Glenn

Thanks Freebird for the information.

After reviewing the thread, it's apparent to me that Yahama has used a mixture of what I'll call "standard" (1156 & 1157) and non-standard (BAZ15d & BAU15s) bulbs in our bikes.

I guess I have only a couple options:

1. Replace my incandescants with LED's from Custom Dynamics

or

2. Find replacement signal housings with 1156/1157 bases in them

Both options require significant $$$...

I replaced mine with the Dynamic Cluster 7507 Bases

You will need the load equalizer

The blinkers would not function without it --

They say it will slow down the flasher -- no it does not

They are bright for sure I am happy with them

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_dynamic_clusters.htm

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DAVEWE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png