IGNORED

A Geological Find

FROG MAN

I'll be bringing home a few souveniors from the mountains. We explored today a geological find at a construction site in the mountains of West Virginia. We were at about 2500 ft above sea level and found fossilized rock formations with sea shells at the dig site. Guess like they say at one time we were underwater.I guess the beach is closer then you think.

Things like that are really strange and hard to believe. They have found proof that whales once existed here in the Champlain Valley of Vermont.

"And Noah [was] six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth. "..................... hmmmmmmmm....

Charlie I will see if MamaMo can post some pictures.I just got home and found this article. 350 million years old WOW. I was west of I81 in the WV mountains about 140 miles west of the Chesapeake Bay.

Fossils

Sea Shells in the Mountains,

Fossils in the Forest

Can you find sea shells in the mountains? Yes, you can!--less than one hour from Roanoke, Virginia on the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.

These sea shells are fossil sea shells, over 350 million years old. Fossil sea shells (Brachiopods and Pelecypods) can be found in some rocks along the roads, creeks and trails on the New Castle Ranger District. If you look carefully at the loose rock laying on the ground surface, and if you are lucky, you may see fossil sea shell remnants or imprints in the rock.

Fossils can be found in the sandstone and shale rocks on the other Ranger Districts of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. The fossil beds usually contain a community of marine creatures that inhabited the sea floor beneath an ocean that covered the area west of the Blue Ridge in the distant geologic past (Paleozoic Era). Crinoids (sea lilies), Trilobites (arthropods), Bryozoans (coral) are some other fossilized marine creatures found in these fossil beds. Some fossil beds contain fossil trees and plants.

Back in the Paleozoic Era, the area now occupied by the Forest west of I-81 was a vast sea located south of the Equator. The Blue Ridge was huge mountain range bordering this vast sea. The Blue Ridge supplied sand and silt to the beaches and near-shore waters. The marine creatures living on the sea floor were buried in the sand and silt, and preserved as fossils.

Trilobites (arthropods),

We had a farm with a creek running through it here in SE Missouri. One day these geologist drive up and want to look for fossils in our creek. They found several of these "Trilobite thingies" in our creek. They told me they were ocean dwelling creatures. Kinda backs up the Noah theory to me!!!