IGNORED

OEM Light Bar Alternative

I'm totally frustrated with the highlight bar on this bike.. I'm not sure what the issue is but I can never get it fully tight on, and half the time it is as if you missed the treads altogether, but it will hold the bar up for a while but loosen right off.. if the bolts don't go in at JUST the right angle, you can turn and turn all you want, it won't tighten up more.. And once you do get it right, there's really no simple method to get a tool in there to tighten it up enough not to cause it to flop in the wind or come loose again.. So my first winter project is to rip the dang thing off and go for an alternate route.

I want to have 'something' up front for better illumination and better 'notice me' detection from cagers..

I don't have the original signal light bar since I'm not the original owner of the bike but I still have my V-Star signal light bar and though I haven't tried it yet, I think it could be used since both bikes do have similar parts.. can anyone confirm this?

If such is the case, then I would need to find an alternative highway light setup, big enough blob of light to be noticed, light enough not to be bouncing thus causing vibrations and so on..

What are my alternatives? What do you have that's not OEM etc?

Thanks M8

I built my light bar using the original turn signal bar. I ran threaded rod thru it, and screwed on 2 Harley headlamp mounts. They have one threaded blind hole, and one 3/8 pass thru hole to mount the spots. I'm very happy with it.

I do not know if the VStar turn signal mount will fit, but I doubt. Ask here, and I'm sure someone has an original mount laying around.

I built my light bar using the original turn signal bar. I ran threaded rod thru it, and screwed on 2 Harley headlamp mounts. They have one threaded blind hole, and one 3/8 pass thru hole to mount the spots. I'm very happy with it.

I do not know if the VStar turn signal mount will fit, but I doubt. Ask here, and I'm sure someone has an original mount laying around.

Any chance you might be able to provide me with sampler pics of your set, if possible?

Thanks M8

ya man would love to see some pics of it

Here's the complete view:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/DragracerUSA/IMG_6561.jpg

For turn signals I use a small LED setup:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/DragracerUSA/IMG_6562.jpg

Here's the rigth light mount:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/DragracerUSA/IMG_6563.jpg

here's the left light mount:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/DragracerUSA/IMG_6564.jpg

Pardon the dirt and surface rust. The bike needs a GOOD cleaning!

MANY thanks for taking the time to post the pics.. much appreciated.. I take it the LED pots are now your new signal lights? Interesting concept, never would have thought of that..

A dirty bike is a ridden bike.. Unfortunately I have to wash mine often in order to find the loose hardware and tighten them =)

I'm totally frustrated with the highlight bar on this bike.. I'm not sure what the issue is but I can never get it fully tight on, and half the time it is as if you missed the treads altogether, but it will hold the bar up for a while but loosen right off.. if the bolts don't go in at JUST the right angle, you can turn and turn all you want, it won't tighten up more.. And once you do get it right, there's really no simple method to get a tool in there to tighten it up enough not to cause it to flop in the wind or come loose again.. So my first winter project is to rip the dang thing off and go for an alternate route.

I want to have 'something' up front for better illumination and better 'notice me' detection from cagers..

I don't have the original signal light bar since I'm not the original owner of the bike but I still have my V-Star signal light bar and though I haven't tried it yet, I think it could be used since both bikes do have similar parts.. can anyone confirm this?

If such is the case, then I would need to find an alternative highway light setup, big enough blob of light to be noticed, light enough not to be bouncing thus causing vibrations and so on..

What are my alternatives? What do you have that's not OEM etc?

Thanks M8

Are you using a ball end allan wrench to tighten the bolts? Are the bolts too long and bottoming in the hole? Are you using blue loctite?

Are you using a ball end allan wrench to tighten the bolts? Are the bolts too long and bottoming in the hole? Are you using blue loctite?

Its hard to explain what the problem is.. I can't get an allen wrench onto the bolt head straight on so I have to use a ball end.. but the bolt heads are getting dangerously round so I have to use a stupid difficult to use mini-wrench to get in there to tighten it up..

Additionally, if the bolt doesn't go in at the correct 'angle', it seems to thread itself to something different and won't permit proper tightening.. almost but not completely.. seems the inner fairing body won't allow the tool to line up properly.. I may well just cut a notch out of it the next time to permit proper alignment..

What I will do next, as it appears I may have to split the fairing again to troubleshoot a CB antenna fault, is get the same bolts and another shorter pair to see if a shorter pair may make the difference..

I can't see well enough in that area to tell if bolts could possibly bottom out or what.. The bolt threads do not appear to be cross threaded at all.. Putting on blue loktite won't help if the bolts don't seem to tighten up properly..

I had even gone as far as getting an extension block from someone on here which permits you to split the fairing without having to remove the highway lights.. but it didn't install properly as the bolts wouldn't tighten properly, this was before I discovered it needed such a precise angle of the bolt..

Kinda difficult to explain but its very frustrating and annoying to deal with.. especially when it gets loose and you can feel it thudding at certain speeds.. doesn't that suck?

See in DragRacer's first photo where his mounting bolts are? Mine seem to be a little higher up and hidden behind the fairing a bit more making it harder to reach..

Sounds like an issue with the bolts to me. Too long, wrong diameter or thread pitch, socket rounded out not allowing full torque. Also check the ball end wrench to make sure it's not rounded off.

It's got to be something simple that you're missing. They are in an awkward spot to get at. Maybe when you get the fairing off you can get a better look at it to see what's going on. Try putting the bolts in without the bar to see what's going on.

Check the bolt size and get a couple of new stainless bolts.

I have a stock turn signal bar if you want to go that way. Pay the shipping and it's yours.

Yep. The LED's are the turn signals. They could stand to be a little brighter. But I'm more concerned that people in the rear know which way I'm turning.

MANY thanks for taking the time to post the pics.. much appreciated.. I take it the LED pots are now your new signal lights? Interesting concept, never would have thought of that..

A dirty bike is a ridden bike.. Unfortunately I have to wash mine often in order to find the loose hardware and tighten them =)

Sounds like an issue with the bolts to me. Too long, wrong diameter or thread pitch, socket rounded out not allowing full torque. Also check the ball end wrench to make sure it's not rounded off.

It's got to be something simple that you're missing. They are in an awkward spot to get at. Maybe when you get the fairing off you can get a better look at it to see what's going on. Try putting the bolts in without the bar to see what's going on.

Check the bolt size and get a couple of new stainless bolts.

I have a stock turn signal bar if you want to go that way. Pay the shipping and it's yours.

TING! Email sent, many thanks!!

In the meantime I'm going to try new bolts.. I bought a new set of round heads and those rounded off neatly..

I'd like to keep the lightbar but at this point in time it's hell on wheels with the BS they are causing.. later this winter in the new garage I'll be able to tackle it better.. got a month of good biking (albeit COLD) left before the snow starts to fly..

Why don't you just install the spacer that somebody here sells. Then you will not have to remove the lightbar to split the fairing. I don't have the spacer on mine. Replaced the bolts with hex heads long ago and they have worked fine. I use a long 3/8 extension and it does still end up being at a bit of an angle but it has worked fine for me. If I were having the problems like you are though, I would go with the spacer.

Why don't you just install the spacer that somebody here sells. Then you will not have to remove the lightbar to split the fairing. I don't have the spacer on mine. Replaced the bolts with hex heads long ago and they have worked fine. I use a long 3/8 extension and it does still end up being at a bit of an angle but it has worked fine for me. If I were having the problems like you are though, I would go with the spacer.

I actually DO have that space you mentioned and I can't get it to bolt up securely enough because of that bolt alignment issue.. try as I may, it won't tighten up at all.. One side might, then I pull the other out and try again, no dice. I got both nice and tight, and once I mount the light bar to it, that's when you realize the whole rig isn't tight at all.. No bad on the space block, but something indeed screwy with the mounting system on the bike.. Every time I split the fairing I give it another crack to see if I can get it on..

The bolts going through the spacer into the bike have to be allen bolts as hex heads won't allow a socket to get in there.. I've tried various setups with it and couldn't get it to tighten up securely.. Its like the whole thing is possessed and determined NOT to let me tightening it..

Yep. The LED's are the turn signals. They could stand to be a little brighter. But I'm more concerned that people in the rear know which way I'm turning.

Actually you should be more concerned about the people in front of you.

IIRC more than 70% of motorcycle accidents happen to the FRONT of the bike. People turn left in front of motorcycles every day, and violate the motorcycles right of way.

For more info PLEASE get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough.

I also had trouble keeping the lightbar tight after I put the highway lamps on it. Had ball-end allen wrenches, get it tight, and could depend on it being loose in few hundred miles or so. I did as Freebird said, got new hex head bolts, blue locktite, and put them in. Never came loose since. Can't recall if I used a socket or what to get them tight, but it worked.

I also had trouble keeping the lightbar tight after I put the highway lamps on it. Had ball-end allen wrenches, get it tight, and could depend on it being loose in few hundred miles or so. I did as Freebird said, got new hex head bolts, blue locktite, and put them in. Never came loose since. Can't recall if I used a socket or what to get them tight, but it worked.

Oh Ok, I got it now.. thought he meant hex nuts on the adapter someone was selling here.. I'll see about getting the hex bolts for the existing bar mounts.. understood now.. (thick headed).. ergh ;)