IGNORED

Want to Install CD Changer

jneed53

OK -- how difficult is it going to be for me to install a CD changer on a 2000 RSV? Am getting one and was hoping the bike would be prewired for it, but apparently I have read that my hopes have been dashed. Pretty sure all cables and stuff will be included, as it came out of another RSV.

I have one and it is easy to install but takes a bit of work.

It has to be a clarion DC 625 or 635 and the plug for it is in the front fairing so you have to split it. I put the deck in the trunk and ran the cable to the front. Seat and tank must come off but that is not hard. It is only one cable. Good luck!:080402gudl_prv:

I've had one and it does require taking a lot of off, split fairing, remove gas tank and seats, the panel behind the passenger seat. Once you get it installed it is garanteed to skip once in a while and take up a lot of room in the trunk or saddle bag. No room for 2 helmets in the trunk anymore. I took mine out and tossed it.

Personally I'd recommend an IPOD or MP3 with a flash drive memory, no hard drives because they too will crash once in a while from the vibrations. You can plug them into your AUX port on the cassette or inside the fairing with an 1/8" male/male cord. I learned through expensive trial and error. Good luck.

I wouldn't waste the space or the money on the CD changer. Buy yourself the 8Gig iPod Nano. You'll be much happier with more music and you can take it anywhere you go with or with out the bike.

The iPod Nano uses flash drive technology so it won't suffer vibration lock-up like the larger iPods that use miniature hard drives.

Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to do the job. You take off the seats, the fuel tank (simple to do), and split the fairing (also simple to do). There are instruction on this site to split the fairing.

You remove the pocket in the trunk and mount the CD changer there. Suggest cutting the ends off the pocket with a razor and remounting it on one of the sides of the trunk with some good Velcro.

You then just run the wires along the other wires on the bike, thread it thru the back of the fairing, plug it into the appropriate plug on the control unit, and 'vuealla' - you are jamming to the discs.

This was the first modification I did on my bike and I was somewhat concerned before I started. It was really easy.

If you have the running lights, get a set of good ball end hex wrenches to remove them. Will save lots of frustration and time.

RR

I wouldn't waste the space or the money on the CD changer. Buy yourself the 8Gig iPod Nano. You'll be much happier with more music and you can take it anywhere you go with or with out the bike.

The iPod Nano uses flash drive technology so it won't suffer vibration lock-up like the larger iPods that use miniature hard drives.

I agree total waste of space and time get an IPOD nano only will hold about 30 times the songs of a CD changer and it fits in your pocket.

After lots of thought, I put a flash memory based MP3 Player on my Christmas list instead of the CD Player.........

It costs less, will not skip, does not take up space in the trunk, and I can take it off the bike and use it while mowing the lawn or on an airplane...

However it is not controllable from the bike's audio control panel, and will require a custom made mounting bracket.

However it is not controllable from the bike's audio control panel, and will require a custom made mounting bracket.

You have a point but it is a very small con compared to the pros. The volume is controllable via the audio system though so that is all I need. I set mine on shuffle, put it in the tank pouch and let it play. The battery lasts for 8hrs or more if you let it run and remember to turn it off when you stop for extended breaks. I have both AC and DC power adaptor to charge it overnight depending on where we are or how we are traveling. My 4 GB NANO will store about 500 tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rickcooldog

i have a brand new in the box model that yamaha sells for $611 and i paid $219. anyone can have it for that as i decided not to use it.