IGNORED

Is it possible to Tint Clear Lowers.

Dave3

My clear plastic fairing protectors were ruined by the dealer with liquid wax that stained little white dots. Is it possible to Tint the whole piece smoke or black to get some use out of them or should I just trash them?

I've seen some that have painted them on the inside and they looked great. I would also think you could use some window tint plastic if you wanted to. On the other hand....if my dealer ruined them...I would be pushing them to replace them out of their pocket.

I took my "o8" in to have the light bar installed. During the process, someone had a solvent on the fingers and left fingerprints in my lowers! There was some denial but,,,, Was kinda funny in a way as no one wanted to fess up, I have a friend in crime lab who was willing to run the prints,,,,,,no contest! They were replaced right away! Sure was funny though! To answer your question, if you want them tinted, just got to your local auto store, get some sheet tint, stick in on and trim to shape,,,I think I'll even look into that! Sound like a good idea! Thanks!

Renne

My clear plastic fairing protectors were ruined by the dealer with liquid wax that stained little white dots. Is it possible to Tint the whole piece smoke or black to get some use out of them or should I just trash them?

Are you referring to the ones on the bottom edge of the fairing?

If so ....

get some sheet tint, stick in on and trim to shape,,,I think I'll even look into that! Sound like a good idea! Thanks!

Renne

I'd suggest that sheet tint will not work very well due to the number of compound curves on them. Unless of course they've made some changes to the sheet tint over the past 10 yrs.

Guest tx2sturgis

I painted the clear fairing extenders on the inside and they look good to me! I always thought the clear extenders looked kinda out of place there, now in black, they make the fairing look a bit bigger and 'meatier'.....YMMV.

I have also cut down the stock windshield, and that contributes to the beefier look, as well as letting me see over the screen in bad weather.

:2cents:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I tinted my the clear lower fork peices with some tint spray...kept putting a coat on till I got them as dark as I wanted....many many coats. I wanted to do the clear pieces on the bottom of front fairing also...so I took them off and painted them black on the inside... The both look the same...but a lot less work and waiting time for them to dry. They are holding up good and look great to me...especially on a midnight bike.

I may paint the vents on the lower fairing but not sure it will stay since wind/bugs/rocks hit bot sides of them. When I break these or have a probable...I am gonna Buddy Rich to build me some black one then.

picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1924

Edited by CMIKE

I was told to use tail light tent. I think Got2manytoys had did his and I saw some photos of his bike... I found it on line but could not find it locally in any of the parts stores. Tail light tint is made to blacken the red tailights on cars or trucks. I looked even in Lousiana where I work.

So...

On the lower wind deflectors on the forks....I put about 20 coats of Testors window tint model paint...that is used to tint the windows of plastic model cars. It is a tint that is for plastics just like the Tail light tint. Painted the back side with many coats to get them as dark as I wanted them...they look black till you put a light behind them and then you see they are dark tint. I would not recommend this proceedure. Way to much trouble... and not cost effective. I used better than 2 cans to get them as dark as I wanted...at about 3 bucks a can. :doh:

On the clear ones at the bottom of the front fairing...I cannot remember the brand of it and not at home right now. It was a black gloss for plastics...bought it at Lowes. You know they make that paint for painting those plastic chairs. I split the fairing and took them off taped up the front side then put on 2 coats and that took care of it.

It really blends in with the fairing and all the other black really good.

Goes good with the Midnight bike.

Good luck and if I had it to do again...I would not mess with the tint...go for the full black paint and get it over with.

1. The part is the lower fairing extender/protector.

2. My dealer denied they did anything work, but I kept on them and they bought me a new set.

3. I really like the Black painted option. I think they would look great with the black on my Black & Blue '07.

4. Only issue would be if the white spots would be MORE visible when painted. That is why I was thinking a tint or stain might soak into the plastic to tint the spots as well.

Lower faring "clears" got me so intrigued that I took a look at my 'Mercedes" grey "08" "S" and decided,,,YEP,,,time to balance things up front! Thanks Dave for the inspiration. I removed my faring, removed the "clears" found a suitable metallic grey @ O'Reilly's and painted them on the inside......NICE,,,while waiting for them to dry I decided my passing lights were too close to the faring,,,,sooooooooooooo,,,,I extended them 1 1/2 in. and lowered them...while doing so I decided I'd like to show off my chrome forks more. I removed the wind deflectors. Then I removed the whiskers and put them on the tops of my bags.........YEP...I like it cleaner,,, Like I said,,thanks for the inspiration,,,next is to replace my "clear" turn signal lenses with amber to add some color....then,,,onanonanonanon............................

Respects,

Renne

I am interrested in the spray tint, if I knew where to find it.

Here is a link to the tail light tint. Some say you can find this in auto parts store...but I had not luck around my area.

http://www.shopcustomcreations.com/VHT-Nite-Shades-Tint-SprayBlack-Out-Tail-Light/prod-530.html

You don't have to get it from here...shop around find the best deal. I think JP cycles has it also. Search in Google "Tail light Tint" This is made to tint plastic tail light lenses.

From my experience...I would just paint them black...Spray tint is a slow process to get them as dark as I wanted them. Be sure you scrub them down with soap and water to get all the bugs and dirt off them...wipe them down with something to removed the oil from your fingerprints. Alcohol works good.