IGNORED

Easy way to remove the u-joint

I need to replace the front u-joint, mine is a trike so I have two. After reading the tech talk it sounds like after removing the driveshaft you then remove the entire u-joint yoke from the bike, is that correct? Looks like the front part of the yoke is bolted to a transmission output shaft, do you remove that shaft and if so how? I also read that there may be other U-joints that will work as well as the OEM, any thoughts? As ususal all the advice is good and thanks.

I need to replace the front u-joint, mine is a trike so I have two. After reading the tech talk it sounds like after removing the driveshaft you then remove the entire u-joint yoke from the bike, is that correct? Looks like the front part of the yoke is bolted to a transmission output shaft, do you remove that shaft and if so how? I also read that there may be other U-joints that will work as well as the OEM, any thoughts? As ususal all the advice is good and thanks.

ithank it is a 1973 dotson b210 pickup u-joint,i posted it sume place,mayb on the venturer site

ithank it is a 1973 dotson b210 pickup u-joint,i posted it sume place,mayb on the venturer site

If it's a '73 Datsun pickup then the model is a 620. They did have replaceable u-joints.

The B210 was a car and the u-joints were not replaceable; you had to buy a driveshaft if a u-joint went out.

Datsun B110 Car & the grease fitting on the end cap (if equipped) will scrape on the swingarm tube. There is no real easy way to pull the middle gear pinion assy out, to change the U joint.

The middle gear output shaft removal is a fairly straight forward procedure. Remove the driveshaft and swingarm, remove the rubber boot and the side plate above the middle gear cover. Loosen the 2 engine case bolts at the output shaft, then remove the 3 bolts holding the output shaft. Watch how the shims come out from behind the flange, and replace them the same way.

Of course, you have the mufflers, side covers, rear pegs and holders and shock link to disconnect/remove. That's the fun part. Be a good weekend job, could also grease up the shock link bushings while you're in there. Man, I could come up with a whole list!