IGNORED

i need help and INPUT please

today , i finally got around to taking the rear wheel off of my '86 to have new "elite III's put on.in the process of removing the muffler, i broke one of the exhaust collector "outflow tubes" off.my question now is, can i just fabricate a pair of 2into 1, manifolds/collectors, to replace the 20 plus year old piece of hardware?

is there a REASON that all four cylinders must empty into a single box?

thanks to any and all who respond.

just jt

All four exhausts don't actually empty into the collector. The two rear cylinders do and then merge with the fronts. The collector has baffles in it that probably are meant to increase the back pressure to effectivley even out the difference in exhaust length between the front and the back. There should be no reason a two into one exhaust for each side would not work although there may be a leaning of the rear cylinders due to increased exhaust flow. I was reading about Sampson and other exhaust manufacturers who say flow is evened and power gained by connecting the two sides with a crossover pipe. I don't know the details about that though.

If I remember correctly (and many times I don't), the right side (front and back) empty into the right side of the collector and similarly does the left side. The "baffle" that separates the two sides has about a 1 inch hole in it . I figgure to even the pressure between the two sides.

As for fixing what you broke off, if the metal is still good you might be able to get it welded bak on. There is a company that makes a custom collector...sorry, can't recall where that is.

JT,

I had the same thing happen to me on the '89 I just bought. I ended up getting a pipe that would fit inside the old one and used it as a backer plate to reweld the original tube on. You need the OD of the original pipe for the muffler to clamp back onto. It wasn't a real big deal and can be done for minimal monies. If you want to wait a bit we'll be down ina few weeks and I'd be glad to help you with it.

If I remember correctly (and many times I don't), the right side (front and back) empty into the right side of the collector and similarly does the left side. The "baffle" that separates the two sides has about a 1 inch hole in it . I figgure to even the pressure between the two sides.

As for fixing what you broke off, if the metal is still good you might be able to get it welded bak on. There is a company that makes a custom collector...sorry, can't recall where that is.

i could reweld the broken piece, no problem.

what i need to know, is will a 2 into 1 , on each side work.

i have an entire fabricating shop at my disposal.

i want to do it in stainless, and be done with it.

just jt