IGNORED

Need your input.

OK, the saga of the '91 continues. Kurt replaced the 'O' ring behind the gear sensor and let the bike idle for around an hour. Then he took it for a ride and then let it sit. No oil smoke and no leaks. Rode it over to the house and let it sit on the side stand for the better part of an hour.... nothing. Cool!!! Put the bike away on the center stand and the next morning still nothing. Sync'd the carbs etc. Let it idle for a while and the next morning... on the center stand.. there's an oil puddle about the size of a 50 cent piece under the bike by the left center stand pad.. Never started it again and while I'm gone to Cody the patch grew to the about 6" across with fresh drips. All by the left pad of the center stand. Here's what I'm looking for. Can anyone think of a reason that would cause a bike to leak oil while it's on the center, but not while it's over on the side stand?? And where in the engine would the oil be deep enough to leak on the horizontal and not on the lean?? I talked to Rocket about it and he suggested trying some of that florencent dye in the oil and then black light it, and I may do that. Any other ideas?? BTW the right side bottom of the motor is dry as far as I can see.

Without looking at the parts, I have seen similar things on other bikes, but don't know how closely this matches your scenario.

Step one: while on side stand, a small amount of oil leaks out and pools in an engine cover on the left of the bike.

Because the bike is leaning, the bottom of the casing forms a cup to hold it.

Step two: Bike is placed on centre stand. The pool of oil cupped in the engine cover is now tipped out as the bottom edge of the casing is now horizontal.

Does that make sense ? I had it on a 200 Benly - oil dribbled into the alternator cover from the crank seal when it was on the sidestand, but only leaked out when the bike was placed on the centrestand, when instead of pooling on the left hand side of the casing, it returned to the air vent hole next to the crank casing.

Without looking at the parts, I have seen similar things on other bikes, but don't know how closely this matches your scenario.

Step one: while on side stand, a small amount of oil leaks out and pools in an engine cover on the left of the bike.

Because the bike is leaning, the bottom of the casing forms a cup to hold it.

Step two: Bike is placed on centre stand. The pool of oil cupped in the engine cover is now tipped out as the bottom edge of the casing is now horizontal.

Does that make sense ? I had it on a 200 Benly - oil dribbled into the alternator cover from the crank seal when it was on the sidestand, but only leaked out when the bike was placed on the centrestand, when instead of pooling on the left hand side of the casing, it returned to the air vent hole next to the crank casing.

That's food for thought Greg, but I can't see where any engine cover would come into play on a VR. If you were talking about one of the plastic side covers, they were all dry when I took them off. Thanks for the input.

How about using some powder spray deodorant or similar on the area above the drip. If it's too oily at the moment give it a wash and dry then a spray before repeating the process to get the leak.

I've thought of that too. If I can't find the leak at least the bike'll smell purdy.... :)

I'm just trying to ioslate the possible areas that might cause the side stand..center stand curiousity...??