IGNORED

Part it or Fix it?

My 83 standard has been skipping in 2nd, hasn't been i big problem kinda planned on fixing it this winter. Last night though me and wife went for a ride and i lost first gear. skipping 2nd is easy but skipping 1st and 2nd riding double is tough! I'm guessing it really won't be that much more to fix it all than just 2nd but i thought I'd see what people here thought about about it. I'd really rather have a royale with adjustable air ride for switching between riding double and solo. Other than the tranny though the bike runs great plastic has a lot of broken tabs but doesn't seem to be anything to bad. Biggest thing is i don't really want to quit riding yet this year and if i can get the parts to fix it i'm guessing i could do that faster than parting it and buying a "new" one.

Fix it, the first gear problem is probably from the second gear affecting the shift forks and or the shift pins in the shift drum.

If it is not too bad it probably would be worth while. Relatively simple if you have mechanical inclinations or friends who do.

And if it is totaled, it would be largely disassembled at that point so i could get a better deal on it,,,,,,,,I mean it would be parted and ready to sell.

I think you can do it, plenty of help here, there are some examples of the work on here. and i'll bet there are folks close to you that could keep you company while your doing it.

It would also be a good time to get some plastex and fix some of those broken tabs. I know one of your neighbours has experience with that.(Blackowl):innocent-emoticon:

Matt,

As mentioned it's all somewhat in your mechanical abilities. If your handy and mechanically inclined then maybe you can try to fix it. But, you could jump into it and really wrap up lots of hours trying to fix all the "little things" that could be hiding.

Not trying to be preachy but if you dont have a great tool selection and aren't used to how things sometimes can be a buggar to get apart...I would look elsewhere for help or another bike. There are deals to be found and it seems to me that if your wife loves to ride also, then perhaps a 1300 Royale might be the trick. Then you wont have to worry about 2nd gear and there is lots more room in the saddlebags and trunk. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but some food for thought just the same :confused24:

I'm pretty handy with tools and have pretty much everything i need to work on most things, biggest problem with working on the bike is it takes time away from restoring my 71 chev pickup sitting in the garage next to it. i don't however know very much about bikes in particular but have begun to take it apart now. i figure it's more valuable in pieces than in one piece if i get rid of it and it'll give me a better idea of how much $$ is gonna be involed to repair it right. my biggest dissapointment is there's still riding to be done this year and that's looking doubtful right now.

Matt,

There are 2 1300's in the classifieds, perhaps this could be an option for you. If your going to part it out and eventually sell whats left on ebay wait until the spring as it will bring better money. I know that you will get a lot of our members that would be interested in parts. They are pretty fair with what they will pay.

Good luck in whatever choice you make :happy34:

BTW...Black Owl might still have his 1300, I believe he was going to sell it...might shoot him a PM

matt.

one way of looking at it, that no one else has suggested.

when you compare your scoot, to your '73 chevy p/u., is ANYBODY building more of them?????

i don't know of anyone who is.

so - - - -restore them both! just take your time, and do it!

i hate to see a GREAT machine, parted out, just because "REDNECK" is afraid of their speed!

just jt

matt.

one way of looking at it, that no one else has suggested.

when you compare your scoot, to your '73 chevy p/u., is ANYBODY building more of them?????

i don't know of anyone who is.

so - - - -restore them both! just take your time, and do it!

i hate to see a GREAT machine, parted out, just because "REDNECK" is afraid of their speed!

just jt

There is a reason nobody makes those antiques anymore nobody will buy them And I aint skeered.:stirthepot:

Well so far i've got all the plastic off and its kinda rough. i don't think theres a piece on it that doesn't need some work but only one i don't think i can repair. other than that i've got the carbs off, they need a little cleaning and i think if i put it back together i'll probably replace most of the vacum and fuel lines. gonna have to see what looks like when i get the motor out and pull the tranny apart.

still can't see myself going to a harley wanna be though, if i gotta make a payment i may as well go ahead and get the real one so i can really blend in with the crowd

Well so far i've got all the plastic off and its kinda rough. i don't think theres a piece on it that doesn't need some work but only one i don't think i can repair. other than that i've got the carbs off, they need a little cleaning and i think if i put it back together i'll probably replace most of the vacum and fuel lines. gonna have to see what looks like when i get the motor out and pull the tranny apart.

still can't see myself going to a harley wanna be though, if i gotta make a payment i may as well go ahead and get the real one so i can really blend in with the crowd

I would not recommend going to a harley wanna be I would recommend scraping that goldwing wanna be and pay cash for an RSV.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Or you could come to Michigan and buy both my perfect running 83 with 30K original mile on it and my 84 Blonde Royale parts bike for $2400... Then you would have lots of parts for many years of great cross country riding in the future........

'Puc

Amazing what all that Plastic will hide. :sign20:

Brad