IGNORED

Looking at a BMW

ctraylor

LT is a 4cyl. and is a great bike. I was going to go for one for my next bike but decided on the FJR1300 because they have a lot more power for pulling, the FJR engine has an absolute ton of torque. Plus the ABS brake parts for the fjr are 1/3rd the price of the ABS brake parts on the BMW. In fact all the parts are much cheaper and more used parts. Important if you are a fix-it-yourself guy, not important if you are not. the BMW has all the goodies standard though which is very nice. they also have a butter smooth engine, top end roll off is very satisfying when you get on it hard.

If you ride 2 up a lot, be 100% sure that she is comfy back there by doign a test ride or at least having her sit on it with you. It's no where as roomy as a 1st or 2nd gen, and not even close to the comfort either bike delivers for the passenger. My wife is tiny so she has no problems. (She rides with me having the back rest in place on my 1st gen) Although she does not like that the BMW or other sport touring bikes do not have floorboards for the passenger. She likes the grab handles of the bmw, she said they feel right just like our 1st gen.

There was a problem with rear driveshaft failures on some of them. Like any bike you hear about the bad stuff way more than the good stuff. Big news was when it happened to 4 or 5 Iron Butt rallyists a couple years ago all at the same time. Made BIG NEWS then! Oh and BMW is like any other manufacturer and says out of warranty it's your fault. Do a google search for BMW driveshaft failures. I have ridden one on a demo ride and did like it though.

I almost bought one instead of my RSV, almost as comfortable for me, more comfortable to my wife, better stereo, ABS, quieter, less wind noise, and just all around very nice to ride. They do have a fairly high rear drive unit failure, it is hard to tell really how many as BMW doesn't really let out this info. But if you peruse the http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/index.php? you will see quite a few people complaining about it, probably more than complain about the Royal Star whine.

But that is not what stopped me, The fact that BMW is only 1% of the bikes sold in the US and has less dealerships than KTM is what stopped me. I use to own KTM dirt bikes, and have been out of town when they broke, finding a dealer and getting parts is just too much of a hassle on brands with limited dealerships.

Harley, Honda, and Yamaha are respectively, 28%, 24% and 19% of the bikes sold, they have dealerships everywhere.

I had a 1997 k1100lt. It was a smooth riding comfortable bike. But.. The maintenance costs were high, I was using a dealer, and I had problems with the service even after the big bucks. After problems with an insurance repair, I walked away from it.

They're called the flying brick. Lots of riders love them. If you do your own wrenching like many do on the Yamaha V4, you'll probably be happy. The fairing and adjustable windshield are excellant+ .

The seat height is a bit higher than the RSV if thats a concern.

They are great bikes. Not sure on the specific model, but an acquaintance tried to replace his front brakes on his BMS and the calipers shut closed. The only way he can open it back up is to tow his bike to the dealer, so they can hook up a laptop to let the calipers open. I do love the performance, but if you ever decide to purchase a BMW, be ready to pay a little bit more on maintenance work.

They are more technologically advanced in 1999 then the 2nd Gen bikes and present day Honda Goldwing, 4th generation ABS heated grips and seat electric wind screen great suspension. My friends K1200Lt was a nice quiet bike smooth running got 45 mpg on highway and could cut corners nicely. He sold it and bought a new Triumph Rocket III tourer which he liked the looks but was in the shop more then he rode it. Finally killed the Triumph at the Dragon when he tried to lean it over like his Old K1200Lt and found he couldnt lean any more and crashed totalling it. He wishes he had the K1200lt back.

Edited by CrazyHorse

There was a problem with rear driveshaft failures on some of them. Like any bike you hear about the bad stuff way more than the good stuff. Big news was when it happened to 4 or 5 Iron Butt rallyists a couple years ago all at the same time. Made BIG NEWS then! Oh and BMW is like any other manufacturer and says out of warranty it's your fault. Do a google search for BMW driveshaft failures. I have ridden one on a demo ride and did like it though.

+1 on the final drive failures, AND remember parts for BMW's are EXPENSIVE!. With that said, the LT's are a pretty darn nice touring bike and the price sounds right..

Everything fell apart. Rear final drive, ABS did not work ($1500 to fix):mo money:, transmission seal, electrical problems, throttle cables, hard to work on, expensive parts, no dealers, on and on. More than 40 problems. Lucky I could work on it. Lost $1500 in less than a year. Hated the top heaviness, and large bubble of a fairing. Final straw was wife uncomfortable in back seat. Gone and good riddens. Now the Venture is a complete turn around.