IGNORED

Whats The Best Oil?

Oils :doh:

There is many opinions on the subject and we have seen many posts. What you looking for is something that isn't energy conserving. Personally I have used Shell Rotella T 15W40 in my bikes with good results. The Mobil 5000 I believe is an energy conserving oil as I had some clutch slippage when I used it.

If you go up top to the search bar and type in oil...you will be overwhelmed with the posts on it. That might help you, or scare you, but give it a try and see if you can make sence out of it for you :happy34:

Any Non-energy conserving (check the API circle on the back) synthetic is great.

Any Non-energy conserving brand name dino oil is good. If you are one of those fanatics that has to change their oil more often than the manual recommends dino is as good as synthetic. I am using Mobil 1 motorcycle specific on the RSV, on all my previous bike I used Mobil 1 Red cap. It was non-energy conserving, but they have changed their formulas and packageing so there are no red caps anymore, you have to look at the back of the bottle. I just figured with the price I paid for this bike I would pay the little extra for a motorcycle oil.

I understand that Wally World carries it, or you can get it delivered to your door from Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-15W40-Motor-Quart/dp/B00086I602]Amazon.com: Shell Rotella 15W40 Motor Oil (Quart Size): Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-15W40-Motor-Gallon/dp/B00086I5ZI]Amazon.com: Shell Rotella 15W40 Motor Oil (Gallon): Automotive[/ame]

HTH

Oils :doh:

There is many opinions on the subject and we have seen many posts. What you looking for is something that isn't energy conserving. Personally I have used Shell Rotella T 15W40 in my bikes with good results. The Mobil 5000 I believe is an energy conserving oil as I had some clutch slippage when I used it.

If you go up top to the search bar and type in oil...you will be overwhelmed with the posts on it. That might help you, or scare you, but give it a try and see if you can make sence out of it for you :happy34:

Avons, Metzler, Dunlop, Bridgestones

The order of best to worst varies by opinion.

Personally, I would stick with the Avons or the Metzlers.

You left out the Michelins. Several of us here are running the Michelin Commanders. I would put them right at the top of the list. Depending on who you talk to, probably number one or number two on the list.

I agree with freebird very happy with them, you can get them from ridenow.com for 1Gen for $176.80 to the door, about $60.00 less then most places.

Dale

You left out the Michelins. Several of us here are running the Michelin Commanders. I would put them right at the top of the list. Depending on who you talk to, probably number one or number two on the list.

I understand that Wally World carries it, or you can get it delivered to your door from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-15W40-Motor-Quart/dp/B00086I602

http://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-15W40-Motor-Gallon/dp/B00086I5ZI

HTH

Just picked up some Rotella 15-40 from Wally World for $8.97 per gallon. Gonna give it a try. That works out to right around $2.25 per qt. Previously I reported that Sam's Club also sells it by the 4 gal. case for $50 and change, but was mistaken.... first time this year... It's a 6 gal. case and it works out to right at $8.97/gal. Amazon's price of $2.98/qt. is way too much to be paying for Rotella. Another thing I like about the gal. size is that's what it will take to fill the crank case when changing out the filter at the same time. No more measuring.....

I just ordered some Amsoil ASE 10w-30 oil and a EaOM102 filter for my RSV.

The ASE 10W-30 oil is accectable for wet clutch use!!!!!!!

BTW, it is a combination of what oil you use, and how clean you keep it.....

I also ordered hypoid gear oil fro the rearend of my RSF and oil, ATF and oil filters for my cages at the same time.

Guest hgiles747@yahoo.com

Just read a fairly lengthy test analysis of mc oil and the oil that unquestionably came in number one was AMSOIL MCV. That is if one doesn't mind 9 plus $ a quart. Since the bike I'm riding cost tremendously more that $40, I elected to go with it. I highly recommend you read the test. Just search for it using Google.

AMSOIL Full Syntetic 10-40 and Amsoil Anti drain back 103 MC Oil Filter.

If you guys go on Amsoil Web Site, there is link for prefered coustomers. Pay $10 for membership and you are ready to go. Amsoil MC oil is about $5.50 Per Qt. Shiping Cost may add litle bit to that price.

Just read a fairly lengthy test analysis of mc oil and the oil that unquestionably came in number one was AMSOIL MCV. That is if one doesn't mind 9 plus $ a quart. Since the bike I'm riding cost tremendously more that $40, I elected to go with it. I highly recommend you read the test. Just search for it using Google.

funny, I've read several test analysis reports on oils, most by Amsoil said Amsoil was best, but the the two independent studies I read said Mobil 1 was best. I have never seen an independent study done on motorcycles comparing synthetics, The ones I've read were by a Camaro enthusiast group, and one was by a RC model plane racer.

I would not recommend Metzler's to anybody after seeing how many of them have separated and caused crashes.

from a post over on star.org, they mentioned that Metzlers are produced in two places, Brazil and Germany. And that so far all the Metz that have failed, that have been check, were from the Brazilian factory. Of course if you are ordering them you have no way to tell, but if you are buying them from a dealer you should be able to inspect them before they go on and tell. I personally am not sure where or what to look for to tell.

I agree about the tests that show Amsoil is best. I DO think it is good oil but do not think it is any better than Mobil One and the truly independent tests that I've seen confirm my opinion. I'll stick with my Mobil One thank you. :)

Hey Freebird, what grade Mobil One do you use?