IGNORED

Does your fuel light come on when your turn your key on?

LilBeaver

I know the fuel sender unit is a common problem and I have read through many of the threads that discuss it but I have yet to see this particular question answered. I also read through the service manual and owner's manual and I did not see anything that discussed that particular behavior (although it is likely that I missed it somewhere)...

Does your low fuel light come on with the check engine light when you turn the key to the ON position (then go off after the 2 seconds or whatever it is)?

I have seen my low fuel light come on and the trip meter switch to the "F trip" meter but it has been a while since I have seen that. Since the last time I have seen it I have had to switch to reserve with no light or f trip meter - but it is inconclusive whether the thing works or not. If it is supposed to come on when the key is turned to the ON position, then I know there is a problem with my unit.

EDIT: Pg 8-37 of the owner's manual goes through the diagnostic and it does not say at any point, turn the key ON and see if the dumb thing lights up, so I am inclined to think that it doesn't, but it would be helpful if someone could tell me for sure.

Thanks.

Edited by LilBeaver
Added info

Once in a while. Particularly if I have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel. Happened to me today after the bike has sat for over a week. Once I got going, the low fuel indicator was on, but the fuel gauge went up to 2 bars. I reset it back to the ODO position and after riding about 20 miles it clicked on again (for real). I went another 20 miles and then filled it up with 4.2 gals (RSTD 5 gallon tank).

Thanks Randy.

What I meant was before starting the bike, the ~2 seconds after you turn the key to the ON position (the speedometer goes all the way full then back down and the check engine light comes on) does the fuel light come on as well?

By the way it is an 01 RSV.

08 RSV and yes my fuel light does come on(2-3 secs) when i turn key to on.

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup2:

I presume that it is supposed to, but just wanted to make sure before I start taking stuff apart or spending money to get it functioning properly.

Although there is an 09 RSV that does not and an 03 RSV that does not so this really is not conclusive.

Bill: thanks :rasberry:

All of your dash lights should come on in the self test that happens when turning on the ignition. That's your first clue that somethings wrong when one or more of those lights don't come on....

All of 'em eh? I know the check engine light comes on, [and the fuel light]. Then the oil pressure and temperature lights come on when you crank the motor... Maybe I've got more problems than I had thought... (I'm pretty sure the turn signals, high beam indicator, O/D and N light are not supposed to come on when you turn the key on but if they are I've got some issues to work out).

Thanks!

Ive got an 09 and my fuel light doesn't come on with the key. the only lights I see when I first turn the key are the oil and engine light. I Know the fuel light works it just doesn't come on with the key.:confused07:

Okay... Well I'm glad I asked. I was thinking about this yesterday when I filled up. After I got done filling up I slapped my forehead and decided that was a silly thing to do if I wanted to test my fuel light...

Thanks for the input.