IGNORED

Gas Gauge

Rosie

About a month ago I filled the tank (maybe a little too full) and ever since then the gauge flashes on and off every time the tank is full. After riding a few miles it straightens out and works fine until the next fill. Anyone seen this happen.... maybe time to go see the dealer :icon_smile_question

i am not sure of a tech article on doing this but maybe i should. the reason to do it is to allow the traped air to escape from around the filler neck tube and top of tank. if you take off the gas cap and look down the fill tube, you will notice the tube extends down ward in to the tank at least 1" or more. by punching the 2 holes in the filler neck it will allow the traped air to escape and more gas in.

don c.

About a month ago I filled the tank (maybe a little too full) and ever since then the gauge flashes on and off every time the tank is full. After riding a few miles it straightens out and works fine until the next fill. Anyone seen this happen.... maybe time to go see the dealer :icon_smile_question

What's happening is the pickup is sliding on and off the bottom of the resistence coil. As soon as you get a little fuel out of the tank it settles down. If you can get to the arm and bend it up a tad the problem will right itself. I didn't notice if you were 1st or 2nd Gen, but if second and the bikes under warantee take it to the dealer....

I don't feel the need to put more gas in but mine works fine when I fill up but when I go about 50 miles it starts flashing on reserve. I run for about 50 miles like that and it comes back and works like it should. Usually comes back on showing 2 or 3 bars. I've been putting off pulling and cleaning afraid of bending something in there. With all the cleaner I've ran thru it probally wouldn't help to clean.

Sounds to me like you have a bad spot on the sensor. What I'm thinking is that, when you really fill it the float goes so high that the wiper hits the bad spot making the computer think the tank is empty... thus the flashing. The gauge usually flashes when empty.

I have a car that does the same thing. When filled, the gauge will dive to empty unless you take as corner fast or jerk the wheel violently while it's making it's decent. Then it will go back up and wait for a minute or so and then start it's way back down. Once you use some fuel, and the wiper makes contact again it stops.

Maybe you could have it replaced under warranty.

I don't feel the need to put more gas in but mine works fine when I fill up but when I go about 50 miles it starts flashing on reserve. I run for about 50 miles like that and it comes back and works like it should. Usually comes back on showing 2 or 3 bars. I've been putting off pulling and cleaning afraid of bending something in there. With all the cleaner I've ran thru it probally wouldn't help to clean.

I sorta had a problem like that with a truck gas guage sensor once, but once it dropped it didn't come back. Took the thing apart and found a broken coil in the resistence wrap. Soldered the gap and all was good.... I your case you might have a little corrosion on the wire??

I have a car that does the same thing. When filled, the gauge will dive to empty unless you take as corner fast or jerk the wheel violently while it's making it's decent. Then it will go back up and wait for a minute or so and then start it's way back down. Once you use some fuel, and the wiper makes contact again it stops.

I have a van that shows full all the time. After reading many forums on it, I found that they are known for the pivot pin coming loose. Therefore the brush loses contact with the resistance coil (in this case a circuit board). LOL here's a good one. It's a Chevy VENTURE.

Anyway it'll most likely be the case with the bike. The brush is losing contact with the resistance coil. If not under warrenty, it would be a good idea to check. It's not hard to get at and could be an easy fix.