IGNORED

Hand Guards?

Anyone seen hand guards for the RSV 2nd Gen other than Hippo or National Cycle? I can't even imagine riding with Hippo for a safety factor to start with.. National Cycle don't seem to have a RSV option..

however I'd seen a 2nd Gen with guard but couldn't find the owner to ask where he got them.. they weren't curved like the NC but angular..

Looking for something to keep the hands a tad warmer..

Electric gloves might help ya. You could also get the heated liner for your jacket, socks for your boot's as well.

I sold my heated vest as it was painfully too hot.. wow.. them things make ya sweat!!

I have good gloves but a deflector helps to make them warmer, ya know?

They would not be very attractive but I have seen 'universal fit' ones at a local bike shop... They mostly sell Hyosong and Husqvarna(I think I spelled those wrong) dirt bikes and such; but they clip right on the bars and extend out... I'll see if I can find what I'm talking about and send you a link.

Anyone seen hand guards for the RSV 2nd Gen other than Hippo or National Cycle? I can't even imagine riding with Hippo for a safety factor to start with.. National Cycle don't seem to have a RSV option..

however I'd seen a 2nd Gen with guard but couldn't find the owner to ask where he got them.. they weren't curved like the NC but angular..

Seaking I also tried the different items on the market including insulated gloves, both motorcycle and ski, the National Cycle hand wind guards(on a Nomad), etc.

Save your money and shelf space and look for heated gloves. That is what I am searching for now. IN fact, if you find a discount dealer for the heated gear up your way, send me the link!

National Cycle makes hand guards for '05 on Tour Deluxe.I haven't looked closely enough at a Venture hand grip to know if there is any real difference.They were very easy to install,just remove mirrors,put bracket in place,reinstall mirors.They do a great job of keeping the direct wind off,and also deflecting rain.Good luck,Herb.

Get the adjustable controller. Then you can adjust the temp on the vest and gloves. Put a light fleece jacket over the vest then your jacket and you'll be toasty warm.

You're assuming I have 'room' in my jacket for so many more layers huh?

Where would one get such an adjustable controller? I'm thinking now that just blipping the heat on for a few mins to cut the chill off would do wonders on longer cold weather rides, instead of leaving it on all the time..

Cheers

I use to use the first one. It basically just cuts the vest on and off at intervals. Well worth it.

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.html

Its Velcroed on. That's the plug in under the seat. Perfect position. Its also velcroed on. Several times I got off the bike and forgot to pull the plug. The quick disconnect pulled just enough to let me know I forgot and then disconnected.

I use to use the first one. It basically just cuts the vest on and off at intervals. Well worth it.

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.html

Its Velcroed on. That's the plug in under the seat. Perfect position. Its also velcroed on. Several times I got off the bike and forgot to pull the plug. The quick disconnect pulled just enough to let me know I forgot and then disconnected.

hey that's cool.. thanks. The last heated vest I had actually plugged into the Battery Minder plug, it had the same two prong connection, not like this one which looks like a bayonet type?

Do you also have their type of vest or jacket?

Yea, Was using the vest in CA all winter. Don't use it much here in TX. They make good stuff. Have the heated gloves also. Hardly ever used them with the vest on though. Had to run the wires to the gloves down my sleeves. They make a heated coat which has the plug ins for the gloves already on the end of the sleeves

National Cycle makes hand guards for '05 on Tour Deluxe.I haven't looked closely enough at a Venture hand grip to know if there is any real difference.They were very easy to install,just remove mirrors,put bracket in place,reinstall mirors.They do a great job of keeping the direct wind off,and also deflecting rain.Good luck,Herb.

I think we use the same thing. This is the hand guard I use. They look pretty good because they match the look of the windscreen. I had to "field adjust" the mounting bracket to get the position correct. I thought I would only use these in the winter, but I leave them on all year to protect my hands from rocks and those large bugs.

Yea, Was using the vest in CA all winter. Don't use it much here in TX. They make good stuff. Have the heated gloves also. Hardly ever used them with the vest on though. Had to run the wires to the gloves down my sleeves. They make a heated coat which has the plug ins for the gloves already on the end of the sleeves

lol you know, its hard for us northern types to envision anyone in TX or CA to need any amount of heating 'anything' at any time of year.. sigh..

I'll have a closer look at their stuff though.. seems reasonable.. I bought a new Fox Creek leather jacket that really keeps me warm compared to what I had before.. a nice fleece jacket under that and I'm toasty.. but it's not 'cold cold' yet!!

Before I got my Gerbings heated leather gloves and jacket liner, I used ATV mitts. These are very similar to the old Hippo Hands. They are nylon fabric lined and are easy to slide your gloved hand in and out of. Never had a problem with them and they did make a big difference, by keeping the wind off your hands and creating some dead air space, which is your key to insulation.

Do a Google search for "ATV mitts" and you should find several places to purchase them for about $12-$15.

Phoenix

Before I got my Gerbings heated leather gloves and jacket liner, I used ATV mitts. These are very similar to the old Hippo Hands. They are nylon fabric lined and are easy to slide your gloved hand in and out of. Never had a problem with them and they did make a big difference, by keeping the wind off your hands and creating some dead air space, which is your key to insulation.

Do a Google search for "ATV mitts" and you should find several places to purchase them for about $12-$15.

Phoenix

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
lol you know, its hard for us northern types to envision anyone in TX or CA to need any amount of heating 'anything' at any time of year.. sigh.

It can get cold down here. I live just about an hour's drive out of Houston and we get some storms that remind me an awful lot of home {Ill.} One memorable winter, we were living in an older home with no insulation to speak of, no central a/h, and and an extreme freeze hit. End result was a kerosene heater set up in the middle of the living room floor, all other rooms closed off except for kitchen and front bed/bath. LOTS of "fun" that was. I've also had it where there was enough ice on my F150 to where I couldn't get the doors open and that was just 2 years ago. We may be able to ride year round here but sometimes Mother Nature just like to remind us just what kind of a PitA she can be.

Since our entire family lives out of state to us, winter gear is a must have in this household. I've gotten some very strange looks when I buy what I need for visits home. With the Mum in Illinois and the bro in law in Minneapolis, what I wear down here usually won't work in December up there! :snow2: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

When I had my RSV I installed a wider w/s it made a BIG difference with the wind on the hands.

Ride safe Bob

Just put the National Cycle hand wind guards on my wife's Honda Shadow Ace Tour. She loves them.

I just bought the Tourmaster heated gloves for my '86 VR and I love THEM! We took a nice 45 minute (one way) ride today in 40 degree weather and the wife liked the protection from the Nat. Cycle devices, and my hands were perfect with the gloves. Nice thing about the TourMaster gloves is they come with everything you need, controller, hard wire adapter etc. Got a good price through WingStuff.com