IGNORED

This question is car related

jbillerzippo

I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid, with 223,000 miles on the car. The engine went south on me an I don't feel it would be worth repairing it. I'm considering on replacing it with a remanufactured engine from Marshall Engines http://www.marshallengines.com The cost for what they refer to as a long block, with new heads would be 2,300.00 with a 3yr warranty unlimited mileage. Does anyone here have any knowledge on this manufacturer about their engines? Thanks

I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid, with 223,000 miles on the car. The engine went south on me an I don't feel it would be worth repairing it. I'm considering on replacing it with a remanufactured engine from Marshall Engines http://www.marshallengines.com The cost for what they refer to as a long block, with new heads would be 2,300.00 with a 3yr warranty unlimited mileage. Does anyone here have any knowledge on this manufacturer about their engines? Thanks

Yep , the company i work for just put one in our 3/4 ford truck , it is ok but to get that 3 year warranty you have to install new rad. , oil pump and i forget what else , my mech said to buy all the stuff the warranty calls for costs as much as the motor

it is cheaper than a Jasper motor and it only took a week to get in .

Thom

Just did a little research. Sounds like 2300 is just the engine itself. Used ones are selling for over a thousand dollars. This engine is a direct bolt in replacement for the anemic 2.7 Chrysler motor so folks are swapping in the 3.2 when the 2.7 dies.

I'd be hard pressed to invest $3000+ into a 10 year old vehicle. If the transmission has not been replaced, it will be the next to go. I just bought a used Merc Grand Marquis for $3200 OTD cash money a couple months ago with 108K on the clock.

I would have to agree with Randya. Scrap yards are the way to go. You should be able to find a decent low milage engine for a few hundred bucks. Personally I would not put $2300 plus into a 2001 with 230000 miles on it. That's 230000 on the bearings, transmission, brakes, suspension etc. By the time you pay for the engine, installation extra parts required for warrenty and fluids. You can buy another car like it, with less milage.

I have replaced the engine in many cars with scrap yard engines. Never had a problem. They cost alot less and usually come with a warrenty from the yard. Some yards will even install it for you (extra of course).

I agree with Forestt, 1/4 million miles on that car and I'm sure that it will start to nickle and dime you. I dont know that I would invest what will turn out to be closer to $3k in a car with that many miles. If it were a rear wheel drive perhaps, but the unibody front wheel drive with that many miles is not far from going to the scrap yard

:2cents:

With the tranny having 200,000 plus thousand miles on it, and I assume it is an automatic you have reached the useful life span of that car as far as the drive train goes. I think you car just barely qualifies for the "cash for clunkers" deal the government is offering. Considering it would cost $2000.00 plus to rebuild the transaxle, you are going to be $6000.00 into a 10 plus year old car. Not much of a bargain there. The body looks to be in good shape but that still doesn't justify spending that kind of money on a Dodge. $6000.00 would buy a decent low mileage car of most brands.:thumbsup2:

Just my thoughts,

Earl

The car ran strong for 4 days an then the piston got longer not sure how that happened??? Mashed the end of the sparkplug now no compression on that cylinder, so I don't think this engine is worth rebuilding, that's why I was leaning tward a remanufactured Thanks for all the input, that's what I wanted. The tranny has allready been thru aamco in 06 I believe have to check the paperwork. I'm doing the removing an install myself, so that will save a few bucks. Think I'll roll the dice an see what happens. You really can't get much for 3500.00 - 4000.00 anymore that you can rely on. The car did not cost me anything, so I feel I have some extra room that some might not have. Now that you have a little more info do you still think I should go on with it or not

Probably what happened is the bearing failed and allowed the piston to contact the head. I had that almost happen with an old pickup. The piston was so close that the carbon was actually knocked off the piston. No damage though except a new/used crankshaft.

But anywho...

If it was me, I would buy a used engine with less then 100,000 on it.

Since you're doing the work yourself, I would tear down the used engine and install new rod and main bearings and regasket the entire engine.

Have you priced having a shop doing it and installing their own engine? If there were to be any warranty situations, it would be easier to deal with it that way.