IGNORED

jolt of electricity today

massey130

i got a jolt of electricity that woke me up and put me in a stupor at the same time.

late this afternoon after i called it quits, i was getting ready to turn some wood on the lathe. i reached from the left instead of the right to grab a tool handle i had a bit for. un-be-knownst to me, a light cord that draped near it had a mouse bite of plastic missing. the left arm rested on the lathe as the handle was in the right hand, with the ferrule rising up to meet that one little spot of missing plastic wire coating. the juice traveled from arm to arm crossing my chest to the lathe's ground.

I almost made fudge after the 2 seconds of working for the electric company. i was lucky i was not holding on to anything, i was pushed back away from the bench. i don't know if my heart was affected, but seems as not. i cut the offending section of wire out after inspecting & finding about 5 inches of suspect wire and repaired the cable.

man, what we take for granted. i waited until i got my wits back before i put tool to wood.

When I was a teen I had 2-3 similar experiences. A short in a freezer, working on a drill and forgetting to unplug it before taking it apart, not to mention the many times I slipped trying to cross through an electric fence. Maybe that's why I, uhh, I... what was I talking about? :confused:

I feel for you it's always a shocking experiance

I know from experiance I don't even keep count of the times I got hit anymore

Everything from 50 DC to 480VAC below that you don't feel it

After all the years I have spent in the trades I don't even think about it anymore

And yes I am careful but it happens if you mess with electric long enough it will bite you.

:nanner:

I've never been bit by anything higher than 120v, hope I never do.

When working around the house, half the time, I don't kill the breaker to swap an outlet. Dumb, I know, but it doesn't bother me that much. It just makes me let go quick.

An old electrician told me years ago that different people have different tolerances for electricity. 120v will kill some people. He said he knew an electrician that could stand in front of you holding 220v in his hands and talk to you! - I always thought this was a bit of a story, but you never know. Since 120v doesn't bother me that much, I always figured it was plausible.

craigr

, not to mention the many times I slipped trying to cross through an electric fence. Maybe that's why I, uhh, I... what was I talking about? :confused:

Did you have to mention that - it brought back traumatic memories

I have unique genetic makeup when it comes to electricity. If there is a bare wire within four miles of me, I WILL find it. And it will knock me on my tookus.

I fist noticed this when I was a kid growing up on the farm. If I got near the electric fence...POW:yikes::headache:!!

I have been hit with 120 some many times it doesn't even make me jump anymore.

240 will give me a start... Even got hit with 480 three phase, way back while working for a carnival. Now that knocked the chit out of me. Launched me about 20 feet.

I have so many funny stories about getting shocked I don't know where to begin.

Hell, I once caught my dad's house on fire with a bolt of 240 shooting out my arse...

Go ahead, ask me... I dare ya!!:whistling::stickpoke: