IGNORED

1stGen Tech Talk

Condor

I realy enjoy reading and following 1stGen tech problems because I find them interesting. But..... it seems like this board is getting overwhelmed with 2ndGen tech posts. Have we.. 1stGens.. solved everything there is to solve?? Are the older 2ndGen's just getting started? Or are the 1stGens just built better? Being a pure 1stGen owner it's really getting boring around here lately.... :stirthepot:

Well, My 86 VR has an oil leak that appears to be at the output shaft to the driveshaft at the engine. Local dealer has put seals in twice, still drips once in a while.

But more to the point, I have serious cracking around the rear bolts (maybe the fronts too) on the trunk. Will have to address this before going many more miles.

I will post a separate note about that.

How's that?

Well, My 86 VR has an oil leak that appears to be at the output shaft to the driveshaft at the engine. Local dealer has put seals in twice, still drips once in a while.

But more to the point, I have serious cracking around the rear bolts (maybe the fronts too) on the trunk. Will have to address this before going many more miles.

How's that?

:thumbsup2::clap2:

my MkII, is still up on blocks!

i have had a new set of E3's for about three months now.

just been too danged hot to get all enthused about pulling the wheels off, or riding , for that matter.

i have been tinkering around with the honda cb 900 custom, though.i have to say, the "touring bags" are the FUGLIEST bags i have ever seen.they look like "Samsonite" luggage!

lol

just jt

How's that?

when I repainted my bike I reinforced that area with fiberglass cloth and resin. It's really poorly designed and needed more strength.

1st gens hold together because we don't have to spend all our time polishing chrome.:301:

With a little searching on this site, I found what some others had done, and I got started today on my cracked '86 VR Trunk.

I found that between the two rear/outer bolts, there was a crack than ran all the way across the trunk.

I bought some epoxy, and cleaned, sanded the area inside, and then worked the epoxy into the crack with a gloved hand.

Then I took the flatest spot near the bolts and drilled a hole and put a both through with some washers on either side to re-inforce the area just to the rear of those outer/rear bolts.

I will then put a layer of JB weld with some fiberglass mat across the entire area, with more JB weld on top. All of it inside.

I am hoping that will support it and keep it together for a few more...years? :)

Just with the epoxy, the crack is stabilized, but I don't hold out hope that that alone will hold up over time. Giving it plenty of time to cure between the various solutions.

I realy enjoy reading and following 1stGen tech problems because I find them interesting. But..... it seems like this board is getting overwhelmed with 2ndGen tech posts. Have we.. 1stGens.. solved everything there is to solve?? Are the older 2ndGen's just getting started? Or are the 1stGens just built better? Being a pure 1stGen owner it's really getting boring around here lately.... :stirthepot:

First let me say I am a diehard second gen rider.

The First gen bikes are definitely better bikes, they took a lot of good things off the earlier bikes to make the second gen bikes. On board air compressor, linked brakes, better handling and faster. All that being said I love the second gen bike because of the looks and the comfort.

Just every once in a while I think about buying another first gen 1300 and I do love those bikes also but I guess I'll just keep the Ole junker because it's like an old pair of shoes-----it just feels good.

BOO

So what it leaks, squeeks, doesn't run perfect, makes funny noises, gets great gas mileage on Wed but not Sat., is 26 years old (but less than 1/2 of it's owner) handles better on dirt than grooved pavement? Almost every defect, misalignment, poor quality aspect, & over discussed point has been "opinionated" several times. It's the 2nd generations time to have fun!!! Yep there's are getting older too.

Got tired of working/writing about my 84, I just want to ride it now. :fiddle:

But..... it seems like this board is getting overwhelmed with 2ndGen tech posts. :stirthepot:

I agree Jack, the thing of it is, all of us 1st gen guys can WORK on our bikes, the 2nd genners just know how to get to the dealer to get them to work on it! Warrenty this, warrenty that, I've definately seen the increase in posts. Seems like our bikes were put together pretty well for being 20+ years old! I'm just breaking her in at 73k on the odo now, I've probably ridden "Curly" more in the past 3 years than she had seen in the 45k that was put on her before I got her! Just have improvements and a fresh coat of paint to do and she'll be done!

Dano

1st Jack i think you are wrong , i am glad for all of the posts on repairs on 2gens ! now hold on , before you throw a rock at me :duck:, let me explane ! because of this site i have gotton pretty good at workin on my bike and feel that i don't have to post ? much anymore:cool10: buuuuut my 2ndgenner friends see all the good work i did on my bike and they think i am a great bike mech. :superman:and think i can work on theres , ya rite !:whistling: if it wernt for Vr.O i could,t get the tire off . so i need all those 2ndgens posts to make me look smarter ! darn i had Hardleys and sport bikes asken me for help !

So Jack , HUSH !!! i finlley got the 2ndgenners thinkin i am good at somtin then just runnin my mouth !:ignore:

Thom the best 2ndgen mech. on the block ! :superman:

thank the man upstairs there is only 4 houses on the block , or i would be in trouble

I note that there are 2227 threads in the 1st gen tech talk while there are 1919 threads in the 2nd gen tech talk.

I won't speculate on what that is saying....draw your own conclusions...

That's because 2ndGen's haven't figured out where their tech section is yet, and keep posting in the 1stGen section and the watering hole...... :rasberry: :rotf:

my MkII, is still up on blocks!

i have had a new set of E3's for about three months now.

just been too danged hot to get all enthused about pulling the wheels off, or riding , for that matter.

i have been tinkering around with the honda cb 900 custom, though.i have to say, the "touring bags" are the FUGLIEST bags i have ever seen.they look like "Samsonite" luggage!

lol

just jt

I totally disagree. I remember lots of "standard" bikes back in the 70's and 80's had Samsonite luggage, and they all looked great, and, better yet, worked great.

They bring back good times.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD