IGNORED

I'm in need of some parts for floorboards for a 1st Generation

Marvin81

I purchased a set of floorboards for my 88VR from a member here quite some time ago and just never had the spare time to put them on. I am taking a road trip next week and decided today to make the time to get them on so I could find out if they were more comfortable than the pegs (been reading the pros and cons in other threads). Well I removed the pegs and started putting the floorboards on and came to realize I am missing 2 of the chrome spacers that go between the frame and the floorboards. I got 2 of them, don't know if I didn't get them and lost them or just didn't get them, makes no difference, I don't have them now and I need all 4 to install the boards. I mic'd the ones I do have and 1 is 22.30 MM and 1 is 17.75 MM thick. I'm not sure what all of the thiickness needed are but if anyone has these 2 spacers I am missing and would be willing to part with them please give me a shout. The spacers are 25.30 MM across and have a 10.5 MM hole in the center of them.. I am attaching a photo of a set of boards I got from yet another member that was helping me to understand how to install these. You'll note in this picture there are a total of 4 spacers. I didn't get any of the bolts with the boards either but those aren't a problem as I can get those locally at Lowes or Home Depot. Thanks in advance for everyones helpas always...This is a great site. [ATTACH]35121[/ATTACH]

Hey Marvin,

I can make those two spacers for you at "my little shop by the creek"! I have no way to chrome plate them but you can have your choice of steel or polished brass.

$15.00 for the pair and $7.00 to ship USPS Priority mail.

If you are interested, let me know.

Earl

Hey Earl,

Thanks for the speedy response. Do you know the thickness' of the 2 spacers I am missing? I haven't a clue what they would be. As I said in the original post I know how thick the 2 are that I have but I can definately see that there are 4 different thickness'. I would suspect that the polished brass would be the better choice of the 2 metals you offered, course you would be a better judge of that than I would be. If you know how thick to make them then I will definately take you up on this offer. Just send me what your preferred method of payment would be and I will shoot the funds out to you.

Thanks again, Marvin

I also got a set of floorboads, but am missing the spacers. I also got them off a member last fall,...got them re chromed, but when I went to install them I only then realized the spacers were missing. I planned on attacking this issue again this winter, but if I can get a set made to exact specs, it'd make it a lot easier. If you're up to it, I'd REALLY APPRECIATE you making me a set. If you can do it, please lemme know.

Shoot me an e-mail if you're up to it. ( would require 4 spacers, 2 for each side )

Thanks, and have a great day !

John Sheehn

uncledjm14@yahoo.com :fingers-crossed-emo

Hey Marvin,

I thought you were asking for two spacers and that you gave the size in the first post.

I do not know what size the spacers should be as I do not have the floorboards on my 87'VR. My suggestion would be to mount the floorboards with the spacers you have and then measure the gap where the two missing spacers would go. Put a bolt in the mount hole of the floorboard, LIGHTLY snug it up and measure the gap. I am pretty sure the OD and thru hole would be the same so we just need a length. If you can provide that info or if another member has that info I am more than happy to make all of the spacers needed for anyone's floorboards.

As to your choice of material Marvin, I think the brass would look really cool, never rust, and if you want, I could make you an entire set of brass spacers. You would be the "first on the block" to have them, thats for sure!

I'LL EVEN SWEETEN THE DEAL, IF ANYONE HAS THE 4 SPACERS THAT MARVIN NEEDS I WOULD PAY TO HAVE THEM SENT TO ME AND WOULD PAY TO SEND THEM BACK AFTER I MEASURE THEM AND I WOULD SEND A SET OF POLISHED BRASS SPACERS TO THE OWNER OF THE SPACERS FOR FREE ALONG WITH HIS PLATED SET!:thumbsup2:

CAN WE GET THIS FELLOW VR.ORG MEMBER'S FLOORBOARDS MOUNTED, OR WHAT!

Thanks for your help,

Earl

Thanks Earl,

I can see how you would misunderstand. Heck I know what I'm talking about and I don't even understand...Let me send a PM to the member that I used his picture to post on the first message of this thread and see if he might be able to get the sizes for us. I see that you already have another cutomer as soon as we get the correct thickness'. I'll get back with you as soon as I can get you those measurements. And as soon as we have the correct sizes I will take you up on all 4 polished brass,,,,I've always wanted to be the first at something and this is my chance!!!!!:rotf:

Marvin

Good morning Earl,

I got a reply from JB, the member that sent me the pictures to help me install my floorboards, and he told me that he only used his floorboards one ride and took them off and sold them, didn't care for them, so he is unable to help us out. He also suggested that should we get the proper thickness' needed, that the spacers should only be made out of steel or stainless steel as brass will distort due to the weight being placed on the boards. I'm not a metals expert so I haven't a clue as to what should be used so I am guessing that I should retract my "order" for polished brass and replace them with what JB suggested...Heck I don't know. He did also confirm that there are 4 different thickness' of spacers so I guess we wait until somone can give us the needed measurements or until I can get enough free time to take my pegs off again and reinstall the boards and try to measure and see if I can get a guesstimate as to what thickness' I am missing. Thank you for your help so far,

Marvin

I too have a set of floorboards in need of the mounting spacers. But. I do have three of the needed four. I have one 22.30mm (~.875") long, one 17.8mm (~.700") long and one 25.4mm (~1.00") long. I have been looking through all my spare bolts and left over parts and I can't find the missing forth spacer.

I can send them to be copied if we can come up with the last missing spacer length. All I want is a forth spacer to complete my set.

I will see if I can dig anything out of my garage. Maybe I marked the thickness on one of my notepads. I will say do NOT make them from brass. The spacers hold the boards away from the frame right at the peg mounting points. Your entire weight is on the bolts and spacers when you stand on the boards. This is also why the under-belly bar was installed. Too much torque on the crashbar mount. So the cross bar was designed to prevent the twist on the mounts. I had to find a bar for the set I had because the previous owner had cut it to access the oil filter easier.

JB

I remic'd the 2 spacers I have and I found out I had made a mistake on one of them. Saltydogs measurements are coorect. I had put that the smaller one was 17.75 MM but after reading his post I remic'd mine and the 17.8 MM is correct. Thank you Saltydog for catching my mistake and adding the additional spacer measurement. 3 down 1 to go!! If we can just get that last thickness we will be able to put Earl to work making us the spacers we need. Thank everyone for their help on this mission we have set out on.

I have a full set of spacers from a set of floorboards that I'm saving. I'll go out and check the garage in the morning to see if I can locate them and post some measurements. 105 deg right now. :scorched: Don't want anything to do with the garage. Like an infield hit that's too hot to handle.... :)

Condor you are a life saver. I knew all I had to do was ask a question on here and there would be a member that would come up with the answer. Take your time on geting that info. Don't want anyone having a heat stroke over some piddly little spacers. Heck I've gone this long without the floorboards, a while longer ain't gonna make nor break me. Again thanks to all who have chimed in on this little perdicament of mine. This is such an awesome group!! Marvin:dancefool:

Good afternoon Skydoc. I found a set of floorboards on Ebay for a 1st Gen MKI and I'm not sure if they are the same but I did send the seller an email asking if he would please measure the spacers and send me those measurements. I'm hoping that he will get back with me so I can compare to the 3 measurements we already have and get the 4th spacer thickness so you can get these made.

I am leaving tomorrow for Indianapolis for the weekend so I won't be back onliine until late Monday. If I get the sizes before I leave I will get back to you and let you know what I find out. If he doesn't respond by the time I get back I will pull my foot pegs off and "hang" the boards I have on and try to get as close a measurement as I can.

Here is the link to the boards I found in case anyone here is looking for a set WITH all needed hardware to complete the install effortlessly. Copy and paste the address into the address bar to check them out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160359348165&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

Thank you for picking up the stainless bar stock and being prepared for making these spacers for me.

Marvin

Edited by Marvin81
Wrong link to ebay item

Thank you for picking up the stainless bar stock and being prepared for making these spacers for me.

Marvin

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier Marvin.. and Earl... I tore the garage apart looking for the spacer set, but couldn't locate them anywhere. I could have swore they were in a zip-lock and taped to the floorboards, but no such luck. They're in there somewhere but I couldn't see them.... Again I apologize... :(

Edited by Condor

Your garage sounds like mine! I know things are in there but darned if I can find them....It's not a big deal. We will get it figured out eventually. As I said in my last post, I am leaving tomorrow going out of town this week end and I didn't want to take the pegs off and have to hurry and put them back on so if I don't hear from this person that has the boards for sale on Ebay, I will get that last measurement when I get back, sometime next week for sure. Thanks for all the help everyone has given so far. This just proves what an awesome group we have here on this site.

I got a answer from a seller on Ebay with the length of the spacers from his set of floorboards. He measured them and got back to me with a length of .700" for two of them and 1.0" for the other two. Not quite what we have found with my spacers and other that were measured. But probably close enough to work just fine. Their purpose isn't really critical, just needs to be enough to get the controls to clear the bike frame and are sturdy enough to support the riders weight.

I got a measurement of .875", .700" and 1.0" for the three spacers I could find. So If anyone still wants to make them up for the people that need them, I have three examples that can be used for templates. I will ship them to whoever is willing to take this on. I think they could be made with the length of 2 @ 1.0", 1 @ .700" and 1 @ .875". These measurements would most closely match the lengths we have found from other members on this site.

I still owe Tomphil a complete set of them so he can install a set of floorboards that he just purchased from me. I can send them on after we get the replacements made up.

I'm wondering if the differences in thickness' is because the set that is on EBay is for a 1st Gen MKI and the ones we have are for a first Gen MKII? As soon as I get a chance later this week I am pulling my pegs off and will use the 2 that I have and see if I can't get a caliper measurement of the space that is left. We do know the thickness of one more ater the 2 that I have thanks to you, Mr Saltydog, so all we need is one more. We'll get this project whipped by hook or by crook by golly. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Labor Day

I am saddened to do what I am about to do but I will be putting my bke and trailer up for sale as soon as I can get a good write up on it. I will post it in the classifieds for anyone here that loves 1st Gens. I am heartbroken to do this but really don't have much as far as a choice. I will also be selling the floorboards.....minus the 2 spacers as well. Thanks everyone here for all the help I have received...Marvin:crying:

I am saddened to do what I am about to do but I will be putting my bke and trailer up for sale as soon as I can get a good write up on it. I will post it in the classifieds for anyone here that loves 1st Gens. I am heartbroken to do this but really don't have much as far as a choice. I will also be selling the floorboards.....minus the 2 spacers as well. Thanks everyone here for all the help I have received...Marvin:crying:

Wow, that was quick. Hope the reason for selling isn't super serious...