IGNORED

How much noise is normal?

If it like mine it does have noise there is a slight tec. at start up (until it warm up) and a bet of a wind when puling around 55 MPH when I let up on it it goes away. I where ear plugs when I am on the interstate all noise go away. I also ride a big blue.

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

If it like mine it does have noise there is a slight tec. at start up (until it warm up) and a bet of a wind when puling around 55 MPH when I let up on it it goes away. I where ear plugs when I am on the interstate all noise go away. I also ride a big blue.

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

I too have the big blue. i'm not wanting or expecting total quite but i'm just wondering how much is normal?

I too am concerned about noise, the bike is very noisey. When I shift weight from side to side it goes away to some extent.... momentarily.

I also am hard of hearing so I don't know how much is excessive or not. But it is loud. Lots of power and such.

Anybody had their's looked at because of this??????

Bubber

There seems to be a lot of variables. Full face helmet, 3/4 or 1/2 all make a difference to the sound level. Loud pipes and music or ear plugs can mask some of the engine / trans / clutch / tire or rear end sounds.

I think the windshield height can also make a difference too. If you use the stock height shield you probably hear more of the mechanical sounds then with a shorter shield. Just by turning your head left or right changes the tone of the mechanical sounds too.

There seems to be a lot of variables. Full face helmet, 3/4 or 1/2 all make a difference to the sound level. Loud pipes and music or ear plugs can mask some of the engine / trans / clutch / tire or rear end sounds.

I think the windshield height can also make a difference too. If you use the stock height shield you probably hear more of the mechanical sounds then with a shorter shield. Just by turning your head left or right changes the tone of the mechanical sounds too.

yeah i have noticed that also. Thats why i asked the question cause mine is in the shop for the noise. I just wanted to know how much to live with when i get it back.

I too am concerned about noise, the bike is very noisey. When I shift weight from side to side it goes away to some extent.... momentarily.

I also am hard of hearing so I don't know how much is excessive or not. But it is loud. Lots of power and such.

Anybody had their's looked at because of this??????

Bubber

TIRE noise is the most likely culprit if the noise changes when you shift from side to side... the OEM Brickstone scallops and makes a LOUD noise when leaned slightly...

There are many threads about the dreaded whine from the transmission. I also have the 07 Blue/Black and the whine borders on unbearable throughout the majority of the cruising range I use. I took it to the dealer last week now that I have 1000 miles on it, because it has gotten worse rather than better during break-in. I took all the notes from this website about the I Basket and the dealer consulted with Yamaha, and the mechanic (after a test ride) finally got Yamaha to agreed to replace the I Basket under warranty. Only problem is that the part is now on back-order with no foreseeable ETA. Even then, the I Basket is not a sure cure.

As some have suggested, I switched to Amsoil synthetic oil yesterday and after 150 miles today there was no noticeable difference. There have been posts that even after the change out to the I basket that the noise is still there. If they can't fix this noise, I won't tolerate this as acceptable. I have legal friends that make quite a good living just suing the auto companies.

The whine is 1) more than annoying, as it actually hurts my ears after 3-4 hours, 2) takes the enjoyment out of riding an otherwise great machine, 3) completely embarrassing when others constantly question me about checking my oil levels because they can hear the whine when riding in a group, and 4) absolutely shameful for a bike that has been in production for 8 or 9 years.

Yamaha says that the noise is subjective. Some claim that earplugs or full face helmets or shorter windshields or turning up the sound system help mask the noise. That isn't the point people! You shouldn't have to "mask" the noise! It shouldn't be there in the first place. Maybe it's time to consult an attorney for a class action lawsuit. To continue to accept the failure of Yamaha engineers after a 9 year run on the same model after all the years of complaining on this board, sure seems to be solid basis for a legal argument.

Had I known of this problem before purchasing this bike, I surely would have done a lot more homework and more than likely would not have purchase the RSV. Yes I freely admit that I didn't perform sufficient due diligence, but I never would have thought the RSV has such a major mechanical design flaw. The threads I read where about how many owners just loved their RSV. Somehow in my hasty research I completely missed this (in hindsight) very conspicious and severe issue.

I love most things about the RSV, but I sure never expected an issue like this from a bike in this price range. I am thoroughly frustrated. The RSV has a 5 year factory warranty. Yamaha will certainly know my name by the time my warranty is up. That's if legal action doesn't force them take it back if this whining problem isn't resolved.

My 86 royale makes a lot of noise, probably driveshaft/final drive related. It is NOT RPM related. Seems to get worse with more heat/longer ride. I changed to all AMsoil synthetic and it helped a little. I know these can have final drive noise, and spline noise in the driveshaft and in the rear wheel, plus maybe some in the generator.

I did a noise test with a sound level meter, and got 100 db spl in the "quiet" pocket near my chest/head. That is enough to hurt your hearing in just 4-5 hours. Of course if you wear a helmet that will cut it down some.

I also have been checking out hearing protection and for now, have ruled out foam plugs, they just kill everything, make the helmet speaker/cb/radio just awful.

Two ear plugs I can recommend are the ones from Hearos, and Etymotic Research. these are musicians style earplugs that have a nrr of 22 and 20 respectively. They let you hear the full range of sound, just a lot quieter. I could hear sirens, and trucks, but not cars near me. Noise from the bike was WAY less, and the sound system through the helmet speakers was clear and much cleaner than without the plugs.

they will take some getting used to, hurt a little, but these are universal fit. Price about $15. Custom fit versions would be more comfortable, but can run well over $100.

If you value your hearing, wear protection on longer rides.

Don

Sorry to hear that some of you with the 2007 are still experiencing noise and have to order the "I" basket. I had to do this twice with my 2005 RSTD before it solved my "chirping" noise...and had the same thing done on my 2004 Venture (which did not eliminate the chirp...but only quieted it down a bit). The Venture was never as noisey as my RSTD...that bike made a chirping sound between 45 and 65 mph that made riding it a challenge until the second basket solved that problem.

On my Venture, the noise went away after I had the rear end exchanged for the VMax rear...don't know why...just know it went away and figured I had a harmonics problem coming up front from the rear.

If you have Ringing in the ears as I do and after a 130 mile ride yesterday

that my ears are paying for today with my 2000 MM and the whine.

You better make sure you WEAR EAR PLUGS or do not buy this bike.

The whine sure did hurt my hearing this weekend and never experienced

this from my 85 Venture or my 2001 Harley Springer..

......just know it went away and figured I had a harmonics problem coming up front from the rear.

Hi,

as i never heard the Whine, i thought about it quite often. In another Thread about a Vmax rear End on a 2Gen, i even mentioned that the Vmax Gear Ratio could eliminate the Whine, because they are, imho, Resonance Vibration or, as you figured, caused by a harmonic Problem.

Now, if only there was anybody that can't confirm that Exchange of the rear End has eliminated the Whine ....

btw...

if i where a 2Genner and would suffer such freakin' Noise, i sure would give a Vmax rear End a Try. Would cost me 1 Hour Wrenchtime and i would probably loose 40 Bucks on a possible Resale of the used Unit i would purchase, but .... what's that versus loosing Days of riding Time, call the Dealer, discuss with the Dealer, bring the Bike in, wait, wait , call, wait, wait, sorry we didn't find anything, discuss again, get the Bike back, complain everywhere, bring the Bike in, call, wait, write 18 complaining Mails to Yammi, which are never readed by anybody human, receiving automatic generated Answersmail from Yammi, (where ist the Bike just now), oh, get the Bike from the Dealer and on and on ....

The Unit fits the 2gens without doing anything else than mounting it and fill 0.2 Liter Gearoil, ok, no Speedo present while Testdrive, but is this Speedo really necessary ? For a Test Ride ? I've ridden hundreds of Miles without Speedo, because the Cable went south or the Pickup of my digital Speedo did no Function with the Pole of the Magnet i used.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

just my 2cents worth

Squeeze... what's the cost of that vMax retro-fit? I'll keep that in mind as I progress through this process of in-and-out of the dealership service department for the I Basket change outs.

I really want this problem resolved before the show flies here in southern Michigan and the bike gets partially mothballed (I ride in January and February on "warmer" weekends). Ever the pessimist, and reading all the posts here, I'm hard pressed to see it resolved this season.

It just frustrates me to no end and makes me angry as hell that any of us have to endure this ridiculous process just to be able to enjoy our RSV's.

Hi,

i don't know the recent Prices in US. But on Ebay, you should be able to catch one for a reasonable Price. I watched a Venture Unit two Weeks ago, it i went away for 168 Bucks. Also, a local Salvage Yard might have one in Stock. They're not known for failing often, so the Risk of buying a used, defective one ist not that big.

Whatever the Price may be, if you do not like it, and/or you not satisfied with the Result, you might resale it for fairly the same Price you bought it.

You can take a Unit from a FJR1300 also, these are the same Ratio and fit like the Vmax Unit.

The proccess of Contacting the Dealer and Yamaha Is the right thing to do. 1 thing to keep in mind with the clutch basket noise is this. From what I know there is what they call "Straight Cut Gears" involved Meaning they will be noisy BUT...... will last almost forever. Hmmmmm. The replacing of the "clutch basket, Which Yamaha Is fully aware of will move the noise out of you ears and somwhere else. Muffle it so to speak. If anyone is like I ,whom have neve ridden a bike with Fairings and cowls and all the extra things to keep the elements off of the rider, then thik of this. You really dont know how loud any bike is unless you have all these extras in play. What i mean is this. When i first bought my Honda sabre I rode it for months without a windshield and with factory exhaust. Do you know what i heard? whossssssh the wind. Then i changed the exhaust (still no windshield). You know what I heard BlubBlub BlubBlub Whoooooosh. The point being that engine could have sounded like a Bucket of bolts ratling around but i couldnt hear it. I agree they Yamaha should redesign somthing to make all new ventures as quite as a clock but remember this. Everything i have found on this Bike says this. This Bike is a workhorse. Built to be tough and last a long time. i think i might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel because the dealer thinks they found the problem with mine (after replacing the clutch basket, Lubing the spline and it appears it is the middle drive gear that needs to be shimmed). So give them a little time, get invovled, and keep on them. I finally had to call Yama And they got the General Manager from the DEALER INVOVLED. Now i get updated from him and they have been every other day or so on the progress. It looks like i might have it back this weekend. In closing, to answer my own question that started this posting. As much time as they need to fix the problem, But stay involved.:soapbox:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ventureblue - what is the latest on the noise problem with your bike.

I am also going down the path with my dealer of attempting to identify what sounds like drivetrain/transmission noises on my 2006 RSV. I have read all the information here and elsewhere regarding chirps, whines, I-baskets, wheel noises etc.

From what I have read the I-basket is not always the answer (or the problem on the later models) so I am very interested it what the outcome is for your bike.

My bike goes to the dealer next week for a Yamaha Technical Rep to come and have a listen. Yamaha's response towards identifying the problem is positive however I am aware these things can take time.

The noise drives me crazy but I can't think what else I would prefer to ride so I am prepared to be patient on this one for a while. I also have two bikes so whilst dissapointing it is not so inconvenient.