I can't remember exactly how many miles I had on my 84 when I sold it but it was in the 80K plus range and I had owned the bike since it had around 6K on it and the 2nd gear never gave me any problems AND I didn't even know they had a problems until several years later.

Jerry

When I got my bike last fall at 54k, it would (and still does) jump out when you get on it 2nd gear. Sometimes I forget and it reminds me quickly. Buckeye Performance is 400.00 for the kit to repair. High/low?

Dan

I got all the parts to fix mine from my local Yamaha shop and it cost me less than $90.00

So I would say that 400 is very high

To answer the question of the thread milage varies quit abit it depends on how it is ridden through out its entire life I have an 83 that the second gear went out at around 73K and I have an 84 that second gear went out at 23K so it varies ALOT I would not open the motor up unless there is a problem with second gear I fixed my 83 after driving it over 30K without second gear.

Jeff

Thanks guys for all the input. I usually say, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it too".:smash2: But on the other had I also say, "Ya can pay me now or ya can pay me later".:bang head: I just figured it would save me some cash if I fix the potential problem before it does go out and ruin some other things in the process.:buttkick: It would be cheaper to replace the thrust washer rather than replace a bent shaft and have to undercut things along with it.:mo money::2cents:

I've got about 55,000 mile on mine and it's just starting to go when I get on it hard and high. Normally I wouldn't notice it,,,,yet, so it's fix it this winter.

I have one that has 54K on it and it's just starting to skip when I lug it down in low rpm's. Running thru it at hi-rpms and it doesn't miss a beat. I have another with about 45K on it and it's fine. I think the common consensus of opinion is if they're going to go it's between 40K-50K. I also think it has a lot to do with the way the bike is run thru the gears, and the shifting habits of the previous owners. 2nd is a fun gear and coming out of 1st and short stroking/missing 2nd will cause the dogs to round off a bit and eventually get so bad that they will not hook up in the hole. Shifting 'cautiously' from first to second where the dog will hit several times before seating will also do this. But that's my just my 2¢ opinion..... :-)