IGNORED

Motorcycle vs RV

ablumny

Sad state of affairs. I pray not only for the family and friends of the motorcyclist, but for the camper driver as well. I read some of the comments at the end of the story and it seems many folks are blaming the camper driver. The article states that the biker flipped the "bird" to the camper, went around the camper, and then slowed.

The article clearly states: "The cause of the initial confrontation was unclear, but investigators believe the motorcyclist intentionally slowed in front of the motor home, Uhrich said. There were no other vehicles that would have made the motorcyclist slow to avoid them, he said.

It alsmost seems the motorcyclist tried to scare the camper driver with a bit of road rage, but failed. In bike vs camper/car/truck/bus/etc....the larger mass vehicle will often win. Shame is the biker died and that in itself is very, very sad.

So why couldn't the RV stop in 500 feet?

Well, without taking into consideration the mass of a car, or the drivers reaction time, a car doing 55mph will take better than 200 ft to stop. Now factor in the vehicle weight of that motorhome, the reaction time of the driver, and the fact that his front wheels were lifted from the ground, 500+ feet doesn't seem all that much...

I’ve never understood why some people, in the throws of road rage, get in front of another vehicle, and often a larger vehicle than what they’re driving, and then slam on their brakes. It makes no sense to me unless the braking driver has a larger vehicle and doesn’t mind getting rear-ended. Why risk getting killed in traffic accident just to make a point that no one will get anyway? I guess this poor fool sure showed that RV driver who was boss, huh?

Stupid does hurt, and sometimes it’s fatal.

I’ve never understood why some people, in the throws of road rage, get in front of another vehicle, and often a larger vehicle than what they’re driving, and then slam on their brakes. It makes no sense to me unless the braking driver has a larger vehicle and doesn’t mind getting rear-ended. Why risk getting killed in traffic accident just to make a point that no one will get anyway? I guess this poor fool sure showed that RV driver who was boss, huh?

Stupid does hurt, and sometimes it’s fatal.

I am not supporting this behavior but here is an explanation:

From the law standpoint, the person that did the rear ending is at fault for the reason of 'following too closely' or 'driving too fast for conditions' or something similar to that. I know personally of a 3 cases where this occurred, the folks that were rear ended not only were not insured but (4 EMTs' opinion, 2 ER doctors and a judge) faked injuries then sued (well, tried to at least) the other driver. I have also written up crash reports that involved similar circumstances but on cars that were already damaged; so once could draw their own conclusions on the motivation for that.

Unfortunately, we do not know the whole story and never will. For all we know something may have jumped out in front of the biker just after he passed the RV causing him to slam on his brakes.

Just some thoughts and my $0.02

...Unfortunately, we do not know the whole story and never will. For all we know something may have jumped out in front of the biker just after he passed the RV causing him to slam on his brakes.

Just some thoughts and my $0.02

True but the article says the road was clear... Also, if the biker has put sufficient space between himself and RV before re-entering the right lane, things might have been different. Another of my pet peeves, I have so many, is people that re-enter your lane way too soon when completing a passing manuver. Apparently, this biker did just that and then hit his brakes hard. I've had people do that to me when I was driving a truck:mad:. Only the Grace of GOD has kept a few fools from ending up like this biker.

True but the article says the road was clear... Also, if the biker has put sufficient space between himself and RV before re-entering the right lane, things might have been different. Another of my pet peeves, I have so many, is people that re-enter your lane way too soon when completing a passing manuver. Apparently, this biker did just that and then hit his brakes hard. I've had people do that to me when I was driving a truck:mad:. Only the Grace of GOD has kept a few fools from ending up like this biker.

I agree with you all the way, I was just throwing that out there that it is a possibility.

The article and picture led me to believe that not only was the road clear, but being that the area is not heavily forested or have a lot of greenery it is quite unlikely that a deer or some other animal jumped out in front of him that would have caused him to slam on the brakes instead of swerve. Also (very unlikely) is that his brakes froze up on him.

I also do not understand some of the driving practices that many people use. Such as tailgating at 80mph on the expressway (or at any speed anywhere for that matter), not giving enough clearance before returning to the lane of which they overtook another vehicle (as you have mentioned), doing things while driving that takes the eyes off of the road such as make-up application, READING, etc.

Truthfully I was simply putting out there that we do not know the whole story (which even the crash investigators may or may not end up with the whole story) even though it seems pretty cut and dry at this point and if anything should take this as a learning experience (for what we can).

Sorry if I pushed a button with anyone, I was just simply trying to look at this thing from all angles.

You would be amazed at how many bikes try and toy with my 18 wheeler in the course of a day. (I wont even mention the cars that do too) Most of the touring/cruiser bikes usually give me a wide berth, however mostly crotch rockets and DP bikes are the worst culprits. Last week I saw two DP BMW's coming up fast on my blind side (right side). As they passed me I let off of the gas a bit anticipating a move by them, however, using no turn or hand signals they both crossed in front of my truck within inches of my bumper. They then shot across another lane then zoomed off into rush hour traffic. Had I not been aware of their presence and had not backed off a bit I fear one of them may have ended up under my truck. Crotch rocket riders are a bit worse, only they do it at higher speeds. I have at least two incidents a week concerning bikes, cars almost daily. You would think they know better......

A buddy of mine that drives a truck has added a security VCR + video camera aiming out of the windshield. He records all the time because there are raging idiots all over the roads. He has had the "you rearended me" fake crash too many times and now records it for evidence.

A buddy of mine that drives a truck has added a security VCR + video camera aiming out of the windshield. He records all the time because there are raging idiots all over the roads. He has had the "you rearended me" fake crash too many times and now records it for evidence.

Smart man!:fingers-crossed-emo