IGNORED

New guy needs help

screamstone

Hey gang!

I purchases a 2000 RSV MM edition with a trailer. I've never ridden a bike with a trailer and I am flying up to pick it up in 2 weeks...

What's the safest way to pull it? Should I load it down a little or keep it empty? I read the trailer thread in WH and I'm just a tad nervous (not from his story, but the people that say pulling a trailer is inherently dangerous.)

This is the rig:

http://www.thundertowerharley.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=08798334X8K16K2009J1I06I28JPMQ1604R0&veh=644&pov=1345399

Nothing to worry about with pulling a trailer. Empty you'll definitely need weight on the tongue. Full gotta load it right. Lucky for you a few folks there in SC have pulled trailers so they should be able to help. Also don't fill the tires up full. Keep the pressure anywhere between 15 - 20 lbs. Sounds low but it'll work. You'll have to play with that part depending on how much weight your pulling as well. Don't be scared or nervous it takes a bit of practice. Are you riding two up coming back? if so take that baby around the block a few times before putting someone else on the bike. You'll want to experience the trailer alone first.

Margaret

Looks like a great setup. Nice bike and trailer. You should have about 10 to 15% of total trailer weight for you tong weight. You may have to put some dog food bags in the trailer or something for weight. Loading the trailer correctly is critical. Take your time with it around the block for a few miles to get used to it. When turning from a stop, try pulling forward a little before starting the turn.

I am sure that if you ask, someone could possibly meet you from that area with trailer experiance, to give you some advice on the spot.

Just take your time and get used to it and don't forget that it is back their. I am always checking mine when riding in the mirrors and looking it over at every stop. Wouldn't hurt to have the wheel bearings checked on the trailer before you head home with it.

Not sure about where to take it. We always do our own. Might want to ask the guys when you get there and they might be able to help you out. you should be able to pick up the bearings I think in any auto store. Might want to ask the folks when you get to SC they'd know where to go to get stuff.

I hope you enjoy it when you get it.

Margaret

If the trailer tire did not come with a spare - a practice trip to a store in the area that will carry spare tire already on a rim. I get mine from Academy. and it will be someting to put in the trailer unless there is a mount for one.

Dale in La.

p.s. nice rig, i had looked at that & thought how nice a package it is. i am glad you got it.

Congsrats :happy34: Good Looking Rig

I pulled my first trailer a couple of months ago in the mountains of NW Arkansas, and it was no problem. Just keep in mind that your safe braking distance has increased and that your slow speed turns (ie parking lots) will be a little ackward. The trailer appears to be a well built factory unit and you do have a spare in front for some weight. Just throw what ever travel bag you have in front of the trailer and you will be fine. As far as wheel bearings go, have some one lift up on the side of the trailer, you spin the tire and make sure the tire spins freely. If you can hear any crunching, grinding or the wheel feels rough or sticky you may have problem. To check bearing tention, place the trailer tire back on the ground and pull and push on the top of the wheel. What you are check for is too much side to side play in the bearings. Keep in mind a little play is normal. If the tires are a little weather cracked, dont sweat it. Just make sure you don't have any tread seperation. Everything else is just common sense.

You're going to love it. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Both Northern Tool and Tractor Supply Co have small trailer tires at reasonable prices I have found. As well as Harbor Freight...

Northern Tool seemed to have the best prices for what I needed.

btw. nice bike and MC trailer. I saw it for sale also. I think the MM is the best looking Venture out there.

We will check out everything Saturday. Not sure what type of trailer it is, but I am betting bearings will need some grease. I just want to make sure the tires are in good condition.

looks like I'll be fully covered! I'll be taking notes and paying close attention on Saturday!!!