Here's my problem & I know some of you guys here really know your stuff. Hopefully you can steer me in the right direction. My wifes computer has a virus. I thought I had it all gone, but apparently not.

I ran avg and it flagged a trojan. I guess it could not get rid of it. I have tried to run malwarebytes, but the virus has disabled that program. Same thing for Norton.

As far as I can tell at this point (been working on it all morning) I can open any web site including foxnews, google, etc. The problem is that when I try to use the search function from google or any for that matter, the virus will not allow me to place a cursor in the search box. I can place a cursor in the address bar no problem, just not in the search box. Malicious little buggers they are! I'd like to get my hands on one of these guys just once.

Oh by the way, I tried to uninstall/reinstall malwarebytes, but it still disabled it at reinstall. Any help anyone may be able to give me would really be appreciated. It's an old computer, but we just can't afford to replace it right now.

Thanks,

+1 to spybot and all you've got to lose by trying those is the time it takes to put them on there.

Another free one that I found just recently is "Advanced SystemCare" it is a free thing.

Sometimes (I say sometimes because I believe it is quite rare) booting in safe mode won't allow the anti-spyware program to actually find the spyware due to how the silly thing hides itself. So another option is to find a program that you can run off of a memory stick or something and try it that way. I used to have one, but it has been a long time since I have used it and I do not remember what it was. Hopefully doing it in safe mode WILL take care of it for you though.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The computer is currently scanning with AVG in safe mode. As soon as that and I check it out, I'll try the remaining ideas. I told my wife this morning that I'll get alot of help from VR.org members & that I trust them more than anyone else out there.

Ken,

I have been through the exact thing you are experiencing.

Very easy solution. You have to find the executable file for Malwarebytes and rename it. Then when you run it the virus won't block it.

By default, (if you installed it in the standard location) you will find it at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

Just right-click on the file named mbam.exe and from the menu click on Rename. Then type in a new name such as kill.exe or what ever you prefer. Make sure to put the ".exe" on the end or it won't be able to run.

After renaming it, double-click your renamed file to start the program.

Let me know if this works.

Joe