First ride on my Kumho C/T today 8/15

FL-Venture-Rider

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***** UPDATE 9/1*****

We now have 800 miles on the back tire, and LOVE it. I have to say, the C/T rides

so smooth going down the road, it makes the bike feel like a big couch now!

My wife has a bad back, and noticed the difference right away. She loves the C/T.

Since my original post, my friends have mounted C/T on the two Goldwings, 2 Kawa Nomads, and put the rear tire up front on the Wings also with the C/T and the love it, and swear their never going back

For myself, I really like everything about the C/T. The ride is so much nicer, the

wider tire gets more grip on the road, it's VERY stable riding 2-UP in the rain down the highway, and I have to say, at least for myself and my wife, we are extremely happy

Safe riding, and PS, I love the KUMHO !

:Venture:

What does mounting a rear tire on the front (mounted backwards) do for you?

Gives you much more tread on the front tire, so it should last much longer. Go to Pirelli's website (for a MT66 tire) and check out the tread depth difference for a rear and front tire in the same size. Quite a bit of difference.

Edited by tsigwing

tsigwing is exactly right. Allot of people who are running C/T on the rear, are also running rear tires on the front in the reverse direction. I'll also be ordering a rear tire for the front also here within the next few weeks.

Once I looked into it, I found it allot more common then I thought. As first I thought

just going to the Dark side was a big leap, but never imagined running a rear tire backwards on the front of the bike.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the C/T,. now that I''m past that venture, and I forgot that it's even back there, I'm ready to move to the next mod, mounting the rear tire on the front

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gregg for the tip

Just to make sure, as I'm about to order the tire for the front here soon, you are saying

put the Avon Cobra on the front, but is that a rear tire Cobra you are meaning?

What tire size do you recommend for the front ?

I was going to order a Avon Cobra rear tire for the front, I think thats what you meant also

:Venture:

Its the Avon 150/80R/16 V71, bought mine from bike bandit, 164.95 plus 7.50 shipping, 10% discount for AMA members. I reposted the pictures of mine mounted for you to see.

Look at the ride section of the tire, almost soild rubber, very thick, this should be a high mileage tire, have seen guys with valks get up to 20,000 miles on one.

My old RSV has one on the frount, I will check with mickey and see how many miles is on it now.

Gregg

Edited by footsie
added info

I'm always game to try something new and must confess I am sick of replacing rear tires every 6000 miles at best.

I am currently running the Avon Venom on the front and am wondering if the C/T's you are talking about are bias or radials. If radials does it affect the ride with a bias ply front?

Most of my riding these days is two up. I am "fairly" aggressive in the corners but have slowed down with the wife riding now. I can here the raft of crap from my buddies so I want promises I will get the last laugh:banana:.

Im about a 1000 miles from a new rear so it's time to order..

I'm always game to try something new and must confess I am sick of replacing rear tires every 6000 miles at best.

I am currently running the Avon Venom/Cobra on the front and am wondering if the C/T's you are talking about are bias or radials. If radials does it affect the ride with a bias ply front?

Most of my riding these days is two up. I am "fairly" aggressive in the corners but have slowed down with the wife riding now. I can here the raft of crap from my buddies so I want promises I will get the last laugh:banana:.

Im about a 1000 miles from a new rear so it's time to order..

Crockettrider, to answere your question, The Kumho is a radial tire. Everything I have read in the past, and I spent hours reading before doing this, the RSV rides beautiful with matching radials. I'm also considering going with the Avon Venom for the front, with my C/T. From what people have said here on the board, their a perfect match

Here's a link for tire sizes, the C/T size is not listed here though:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002014&id=374

hi all

let me add this i ran a me880 130/90-16 for over 22,ooo miles. while using a bfg 155/80r-15 for over 31,000 miles, i had no problems period. i just went to a kumho 165/80-15 on the rear and a avon corba 150/80r-16 the front. man what a difference should have done this sooner. will report back as i rack up more miles, especillay runing the 3-sisters here in west texas.

don c. :Bunny:

You folks talked me into it.......Just seems too good to pass up.

I will be honest...I went online and thought screw it I'm going with the Avons....read 3 reviews and two complained of cracks in the sidewall.

The third positive review was thrilled with 5000 miles of wear.

I am changing my Continental after 5000 miles and am really sick of new tires and the hassle of installing them....I took the plunge before my ride to Miss.

I need a few beers after trying to shake of the thoughts running through my mind. I have been tempted before but always chickened out. Now I am committed:95:

I hope to soon be:mo money:

If you're half as happy as I am since doing it... you'll be really happy. :big-grin-emoticon:

But to be fair, I think the Avon issues were just one bad batch of tires. I still consider the c/t a better tire for our bikes. I know it grips better for braking and as good or better in the curves.

Some suggestions...

Scrub the bead area really good with a 3M pad and use vegetable oil on the wheel and tire as a lube to help it seat easier.

Start at 42 lbs for 500-1000 miles then try dropping the pressure so you don't wear the center of the tread prematurely. I'm happy at 36lbs.

Drive line and drive hub fingers lube while you have the tire off.

Last but not least... enjoy the better handling and braking!

Edited by BigBoyinMS