IGNORED

Rides funny with new tires

dynodon

Just got my bike back with new Dunlop Elite III's on it ('86 VR, had Dunlop Elite II's).

First corner, the bike really leaned over, and surprised me. Then I figured it out.....

My tires are round again.

The tires I took off were on the bike when I bought it 3+ years ago, and I have put on about 10,000 miles in that time. They were 1996! tires, and I found a crack getting bigger on the back, so decided before going to the STAR event in Indy next weekend to get new tires.

Those old tires, were like any old motorcycle tire, worn more in the middle than on the sides, thus they were kind of squared off! New tires are round and the bike wants to lean over sooner and easier. I also found I could hold my line better on sweepers.

Love the new Elite III's so far, first new set of tires in many many years. (I didn't ride for 20+ years till I got this bike recently.)

I was off for 15 years myself. When I got back on it was an 89 venture. Can't think of a better way to start again. When I get real old:backinmyday: and need to slow down some, then I guess i'll have to trade it in for a 2nd gen :detective:. But right now my 1st gen and me are bonded.:bikersmilie:

As of today, with a good ride of 430 miles on the bike just today, I have put a total of about 103,000 on it in 13 years. I have had Elite II's, Metzler 880's, Avon Venoms and now back to Elite III's. The biggest change by far was going to the Avons. The bike felt very nimble and many pounds lighter. The problem was any speed from 70 mph up got more squirlier and by 90 mph it was a big tail wag. Going back to the Elite III's has made riding the bike much more comfortable. It does not feel as nimble as with the Avons, but it sure is a lot more stable.

RandyA

As of today, with a good ride of 430 miles on the bike just today, I have put a total of about 103,000 on it in 13 years. I have had Elite II's, Metzler 880's, Avon Venoms and now back to Elite III's. The biggest change by far was going to the Avons. The bike felt very nimble and many pounds lighter. The problem was any speed from 70 mph up got more squirlier and by 90 mph it was a big tail wag. Going back to the Elite III's has made riding the bike much more comfortable. It does not feel as nimble as with the Avons, but it sure is a lot more stable.

RandyA

I replaced my Elite II with Avons as well and found the same squirliness and tail wag. I did notice with the Avons the road snakes were not noticable, the ride was smoother. But when the side walls started cracking I had the dealer put Elite II's back on and was oh so glad I did. As far as nimble goes I find my bike is extremely nimble on the Elite II's and I trust it more at high speeds than I did the Avons.

I've been running an Avon Venom-X on the front of the '83 for the last 5000+ miles with an EII on the back. The back tire was about half worn when I bought the bike but the front needed changing. Anyway I've never experienced any squirliness with the combination. I recently just added an Avon on the rear and will keep in mind the reports of handling problems at high speed. The front tire I've had into the triple digits and the bike is as solid as a rock. The front also has a ton of rubber left on it.... and no chicken strips... :) The '91 is scheduled to get a new set of Venoms this week preparing it for Cody. That aught to be a good test of new/new.