IGNORED

Bump - "Clunk"

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

On my Mt. Washingtion trip - which turned into 3200 miles (My kind of touring, you know) I encountered some ferocious roads. Quite often when I hit a bump, I hear a pronounced clunk - it is not bottoming out as that sounds and feels different. Comes from the front - rather loud - any ideas what it could be?

Cant comment on your clunk problem and I dont mean to change the subject BUT:

Ive been looking to take a Mt. Washington trip from Long Island. Any tips other than stay off the ferocious roads :) ? Can you share your route or maps without too much difficulty? (trying not to be a pain!)

Thanks. Good luck with identifying the problem..

On my Mt. Washingtion trip - which turned into 3200 miles (My kind of touring, you know) I encountered some ferocious roads. Quite often when I hit a bump, I hear a pronounced clunk - it is not bottoming out as that sounds and feels different. Comes from the front - rather loud - any ideas what it could be?

Steering head loose? Years ago I did a trip up Mt Washington during bike week on my Suzuki, by the time I got home the steering head was so loose it was clunking, way too much play. Its a place to start. Sure is beautiful up there aint it? Craig

Guest Ken8143

Routes - we were in maine - came out of New Brunswick on Route 6 - horrible road - avoid- at least for the first 10 miles or so. Rt 6 across maine to rt 150 ag guilford. then Rt 2 at Slowhegan, followed that into NH to Gorham. 16 South to Mt. Washing ton and then further south to 112 for the Kancamagus Pass . Went up to Littleton for lunch at the Littleton Diner, and the meandered for another couple of days here and there.

The first part of Route 6 really sucks but I think the 6 and 16 is the nicest route across Maine - right to Gorham NH and down to Conway (I have done the #1 (traffic and slow), #2 (boring), #9 (also boring), I95 (really boring) etc). Kancamangus, Franconia Notch, Mt. Washington, Laconia area etc. is some of the nicest riding in New Hampshire. I usually make it down there a couple of times per year. Planning to go again this fall with a trip to include significant riding in New Hampshire, Vermont and a swing through the Adirondacks in New York. Don't know whether I'll venture any further west than that. Probably close to a couple thousand miles by the time I make it back.

Ross

I have my 02 at the mechaninc's right now for the same thing. He is pulling the forks and dissasembling them to check for bushing wear, then repair/replace what needs being done. Also repack the steering head bearings and tighten. I had this done three and a half years ago at 58,000 miles and it cured it then, I now have 114,000 miles.

:farmer:

Guest Ken8143

I checked the front forks - couldn't get any wiggle anywhere. It isn't bottoming out becuae that is more of a slam sound. Kick stand? Will have to investigate. Thought it came more from the front. Fender is tight. Instrument panel? The stearing head seems to be wiggle-less. Unless under stress it moves a bit.

Will keep on looking.

Front fender loose?

It doesn't have to be loose to clunk. Mine has cracks where the plastic is riveted to the metal support. When I glued them up my clunk went away. It just came back yesterday and I checked - sure enough my glue let go.

• 1 month later...

I just got to thinkin', and yaw'l know the trailer to that statment. I wonder...??... if the clunk is the center stand bouncing up and down over rough surfaces. There's a tab on the LH Muffler that has a rubber bumper on it, and if that thing wears out or rots off, it's metal on metal. Just a thought.... And it would help if I'd read the previous post.....:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Edited by Condor

My '83 had the bump-clunk when I first bought it. Installed progressives and the clunk disappeared. 25 y.o. OEM fork springs don't offer a lot of resistance.
Just for the sake of interest, my 96 xv1100 had a clunk when crossing from the road into a drivway. Not a very big bounce at that. Greasing and tightening the head bearings did not correct it but putting in progressive fork springs did. That model does not have the air assist which would/should have also been able to correct the situation.