IGNORED

carb help

BIGLARRYS84

Well my new to me 84 VR has a little carb trouble.It will start and run on the first click on the choke .Well last night I put berrymans carb cleaner and 2 new gallons of mid grade gas in it.Started the bike up let it run on choke to warm up ,took choke off ran the throttle by hand to get the idle to stay at 1000 on the tach. The bike purred great where or how can I adjust the idle to stay there.I am a good car mechanic but this bike thing is pretty new to me,so pics would be helpful.

Thanks

the idle screw is a thumb screw and no tools are necessary to adjust it. It's located on the left side of the bike. Remove the side cover and the idle screw can be seen when looking from low on the bike up in between the carb on that side, tucked up underneath (behind) the sync screw.

easy to adjust.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This is look at the BOTTOM of the carbs with the left carb bank on the left... between those thwo, you can see the nobby wheel that mounts the idle screw threads, between the two rubber drain hoses.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/carb3.jpg

My '85 idle adjust is too tight for my bare hands and I use a flat blade screw driver to make changes. A long flat-blade will reach the idle adjust without removing any side covers and the ridges on the idle screw give the flat-blade something to bite.