IGNORED

Cut Tire problem

GS51

I pulled my rear tire off today my new one came in and I need to take it out and get the new one mounted. When I got it off I noticed some cuts / tares in the tread area. My first thought was that I ran over something and cut the tire but there are several of them and they are way to big to be just road damage. I did see some spots that the tread was completely gone but their different. I have never seen a tire tare like that before without some explanation. I was wandering, as some of you may know I crashed it on the way home from the western NY M&E when that happened I was pushed sideways before I laid it over but I wouldn’t think that there is enough friction to tare the tire like this. The cuts are through to the cords but it holds air. The tire is a Dunlap E2 491 it was on the bike when I got it a year ago last June so I have no idea how many miles are on it. I am just looking for some thought and opinions on what caused the damage. I am going to try and post some pictures I hope they come through ok

Thanks

those tires were well past worn out. Look for a date stamp on the side of the tire I bet there fairly old, tires tend to start cracking when age catches up to them. in any case they should have been replaced many miles ago. :bang head: The dunlop 491 E2 has wear indicators in the tread groove those tires have far surpassed that.Another factor is being as they are as badly worn as they are the rubber is probably starting to separate from the cord.

Edited by saddlebum

Ditto on the worn out. those tires have just seen their day. the condition is from all the mentioned circumstances gathered together in what you are holding & looking at. i check my tires often. i would rather spend a hundred bucks on a new tire than risk running a blowout on some defect or inflicted cut in the tread. at least you are swapping them out.

Dale in La.

I had good tread on it when I left home for the M&E I did notice that the tread was gone when I was getting ready to head home.those Ny roads just tore it up. I would not have even attempted the trip if there was any question about the tries.to me if there is any question about the tires they get changed or i don't ride no point in taking chances and yes there some spots that the tread is seperating from the cords when I pulled it off, in fact a few pictures show those spots. the tare is what has me conserned it is not comming apart just looks like a tare like it was pulled sideways with a lot of force and friction. could it be from the crash

I had good tread on it when I left home for the M&E I did notice that the tread was gone when I was getting ready to head home.those Ny roads just tore it up. I would not have even attempted the trip if there was any question about the tries.to me if there is any question about the tires they get changed or i don't ride no point in taking chances and yes there some spots that the tread is seperating from the cords when I pulled it off, in fact a few pictures show those spots. the tare is what has me conserned it is not comming apart just looks like a tare like it was pulled sideways with a lot of force and friction. could it be from the crash

The EII is a fairly robust tire, and it's hard to believe that it went from acceptable to bald in that short of time.... unless you were doing burn outs.... com'n now, fess up.. :) I was concerned about the EII tread pattern on my '83 being a little skinny, and thought I'd change it before taking the 3000 mile round trip to Ft Collins in '07. I posted a couple of pics of the tire and most of the members recomended that I change it out after the trip. That was two years ago and I just changed it last week. And that's after a couple of more M&E's, and Venture West IV last year with the Massey-Furguson Rd. And there was still a little tread pattern in the center. So from thinking about it to actually changing it I probably logged another 4500-5000 miles. I could have kept going, but it was time. EII's are tough.....