IGNORED

Piston rings

Jimod

G'day everyone

I've pulled the engine out of my '83 Venture Royale to replace a blown head gasket. While it's out of the bike I'd like to fit new rings.

If I take the sump plate off, can I get at the big-end nuts and remove the pistons or do I have to split the case ?

Any advise will help.

Jim O'D.....

• 4 months later...

On my 86, once that sump was out you could get at the bottom of the connecting rods, and then you can push the piston up from the bottom.

A little tight in there but the case did not have to come apart.

Just an idea but while the heads are off you could lap the valves. This will tighten up both ends and with the new rings it will feel like a new engine.

BRad

Just an idea but while the heads are off you could lap the valves. This will tighten up both ends and with the new rings it will feel like a new engine.

BRad

Lapping the Valves is a good Idea, but please remember you need the Valve Clearances set afterwards. And if you do not have some Shims lying around, this might get a bit pricey.

Lapping the Valves is a good Idea, but please remember you need the Valve Clearances set afterwards. And if you do not have some Shims lying around, this might get a bit pricey.

Good Point on checking the valve clearance.

Around here the dealers will swap the shims out for you for a small fee for each one. Kinda of a trade, but obviously a small fee for the swap program.

Brad

Good Point on checking the valve clearance.

Around here the dealers will swap the shims out for you for a small fee for each one. Kinda of a trade, but obviously a small fee for the swap program.

Brad

Our Dealers have taken that Road, if you were known by the Peoples and have done some Business with them. That's only when the Numbers on the Shim(Thickness) have been readable.

Well, you noticed, that i have used the Past Tense... No more exchange for a small Fee or a small Bill in the Coffeepot.

They're charging 5 Euro's(7 USD at the Rates nowerdays) each for a new one, which they almost everytime do have not in Stock. Backorder is 3 to 7 Days, depending which Day and Hours you get in there.