IGNORED

new nomad heading for my stable.

Snarley Bill

I have ordered an I-basket for my 99. Since it is so far out of warranty, this is coming out of my pocket. Going to change it myself.

If this doesn't resolve the SCREAM to my satisfaction, I will probably sell it and look for a Strat also. I'd have to figure out a way to add a trunk (maybe from an RSV) in order to make the wife "feel" more secure and allow me to carry all the stuff that I do....but after having 2 consecutive RSV's with the chirp problem I won't buy another one. And that breaks my heart since I've never been so comfortable on any bike as on my RSV. But....I gotta get rid of that infernal noise some way or I'll end up riding solo. And that would be even worse.

Joe

I still will be riding my 2007 Venture most of the time. My wife will be driving the Stratoliner when we go together. I've had 5 Royal Stars and never had the "noise" you guys talk about.

the strats are awesome. wanted to go with the water cooling and vibration damper. it is smooth as glass from 1500 rpm up. my big complaint is the exaust sounds like crap. it is not loud, it just has no character. that big cat chamber ruins the v-twin sound. i think a vance and hines may be down the road, way down the road. :2133:

I've always liked the Nomads. They always get great reviews in the magazines. I've turned into a Yamaha man lately. The Stratoliner S is the 29th bike I've purchased. My last Kawasaki was a 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT. Talk about roll on power!

Dude!!! If I had your luck I'd be buying Lotto tickets!

Joe

joe, i had the chirp in my rstd big time. it was so bad i swear it drew looks on the highway. the rest of the bike was so good i learned to ignore it. mechanically there is nothing wrong. it's just straight cut gears doing their thing. some just do it in a different frequency. as far as vtwins go. i would never want one in a total touring bike. i bought the nomad strickly for fun and because i like the looks. it does'nt even come close to my wing for the open road. the vtwin can be smoothed out with the balance shafts, but when you get into 800 cc + cylinders, you can't smooth out those hammering power pulses. i went from my rstd to my v-star. i love my v-star, but my wife won't ride on it. it just ain't no venture. and it sure won't hold a candle to my wing. :2133:

Had an 01 the same color. Nice color. Had to design my own windshield and front lowers. The Nads are notorious for helmet buffeting. I sold it and went to the RSV.

After the Chroming and a paint job.

Edited by BuddyRich

joe, i had the chirp in my rstd big time. it was so bad i swear it drew looks on the highway. the rest of the bike was so good i learned to ignore it. mechanically there is nothing wrong. it's just straight cut gears doing their thing. some just do it in a different frequency. as far as vtwins go. i would never want one in a total touring bike. i bought the nomad strickly for fun and because i like the looks. it does'nt even come close to my wing for the open road. the vtwin can be smoothed out with the balance shafts, but when you get into 800 cc + cylinders, you can't smooth out those hammering power pulses. i went from my rstd to my v-star. i love my v-star, but my wife won't ride on it. it just ain't no venture. and it sure won't hold a candle to my wing. :2133:

I have mine quieted (that's really not a good term) to the point where I could live with it. Trouble is, Donna can't. About 10 years ago we found that she was losing hearing in one ear. Turns out that the small bones in the inner ear were fused together and would not vibrate to produce sounds. She underwent surgery to replace those bones with stainless steel ones and that restored her hearing. But she is very sensitive to loud or high-pitched noises in that ear. It actually can be painful for her. Unfortunately, the chirp is right in that range and she's not going to ever "get used" to it. :(

I don't want to have to go back to a Wing....don't get me wrong, I loved my Wing and it was in a lot of ways a superior bike to the Venture . But I just could not get as comfortable on the Wing. I tried 5 different seats in 6 years plus every kind of butt pad known to man. Nothing gave me the comfort of my Venture with the pillow-top seat. I also know what you mean about the V twin vibration and thumping not being well suited to touring distances. I agree. But I think that both Donna and I could tolerate that if it meant that her ear didn't have to hurt.

I guess that a guy has to make compromises in this imperfect world.

Joe

I have mine quieted (that's really not a good term) to the point where I could live with it. Trouble is, Donna can't. About 10 years ago we found that she was losing hearing in one ear. Turns out that the small bones in the inner ear were fused together and would not vibrate to produce sounds. She underwent surgery to replace those bones with stainless steel ones and that restored her hearing. But she is very sensitive to loud or high-pitched noises in that ear. It actually can be painful for her. Unfortunately, the chirp is right in that range and she's not going to ever "get used" to it. :(

I don't want to have to go back to a Wing....don't get me wrong, I loved my Wing and it was in a lot of ways a superior bike to the Venture . But I just could not get as comfortable on the Wing. I tried 5 different seats in 6 years plus every kind of butt pad known to man. Nothing gave me the comfort of my Venture with the pillow-top seat. I also know what you mean about the V twin vibration and thumping not being well suited to touring distances. I agree. But I think that both Donna and I could tolerate that if it meant that her ear didn't have to hurt.

I guess that a guy has to make compromises in this imperfect world.

Joe

joe, i know what you mean about the hearing. got the same problem in my right ear. certain pitches annoy the heck out of me. i once loved loud pipes, now i can't stand them. i went for a good ride on the nomad this morning and we came to an understanding. i'm going to stick with the stock exaust. i think i could ride it farther than my wing or my v-star with the corbin seat. the seat is firm and comfortable. i put a throttle lock on last night and ditched the heal shifter, and lowered the bars a little. got everything fitting me perfect now. all i need now is some highway pegs, and i will be good to go. think i will ride it to st. jude for a shake down run. i think it's the best looking bike i've ever owned. sure are pretty. :2133:

joe, i know what you mean about the hearing. got the same problem in my right ear. certain pitches annoy the heck out of me. i once loved loud pipes, now i can't stand them. i went for a good ride on the nomad this morning and we came to an understanding. i'm going to stick with the stock exaust. i think i could ride it farther than my wing or my v-star with the corbin seat. the seat is firm and comfortable. i put a throttle lock on last night and ditched the heal shifter, and lowered the bars a little. got everything fitting me perfect now. all i need now is some highway pegs, and i will be good to go. think i will ride it to st. jude for a shake down run. i think it's the best looking bike i've ever owned. sure are pretty. :2133:

Bill, they say that helmet buffeting is a problem on the Nomads. Can you verify this?

Joe

Bill, they say that helmet buffeting is a problem on the Nomads. Can you verify this?

Joe

the windshield is adjustable, i had the dealer lower it all the way so i can look over it. no buffeting at all. rode quite a few miles at 60 t0 70 mph only wind was on my legs. i was thinking voyager leg shields would be a bolt on. they look like the same crash bars. :)