IGNORED

Advice... Trunk Rack?

BigBoyinMS

I'm going to add a trunk rack to my '07 but I have a couple of questions. I know I'll get opinions across the board but that's ok.

Those that have had both, would you recommend the factory Star rack or one from a GL1500 GoldWing?

I see that ChromeWorld and Drag Specialties (same part I believe) have a GL1500 rack for about 1/2 the price of the factory rack... Is the quality any good or will I be POed about rust later on? Or any other issue?

Any advice or opinions will be helpful. I'd rather get the right one the first time.

Thanks!

Edited by BigBoyinMS

I have the Yamaha OEM truck rack ... I really like it and have had no problems with rust. Regarless of what trunk rack you purchase, make sure you have the metal bars top and bottom of the trunk lid ... this will distribute the weight more evenly and not punch holes in the ABS lid ...

I have seen the GW rack on the RSV, it looks good, but the quality is lacking. It had only been on for a couple of months and I saw pitting on the chrome and rust on some of the weld joints.

To me it would be worth getting the Yamaha one. I have had one on my bike for almost 3 years now and it still looks great.

Oh yeah Ditto to what Venturekid said about distributing the weight.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like I'll probably be getting the Yammi rack.

I got the OEM yamaha rack. I have had no problems with it. Still looks good but my bike stays inside and rarely in the rain.

Mine stays in the garage unless I'm riding but lately it's been in the rain almost every time I ride! LoL

We were pretty lucky Saturday going to the M&E on the coast. Somewhere around McHenry we saw a downpour coming and got a few drops just before pulling into a gas station. It seems that we were riding between storms all day but never really got wet.

Well, if you are looking for quality and price isn't an issue, you could always get this one:

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/1649

Even though it is designed for the Gold Wing, it will work on the Venture as well.

Joe

I did look at that one, but (to me) it looks out of place. I like billet but I like the round look to match the bag guards.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like I'll probably be getting the Yammi rack.

Mine stays in the garage unless I'm riding but lately it's been in the rain almost every time I ride! LoL

We were pretty lucky Saturday going to the M&E on the coast. Somewhere around McHenry we saw a downpour coming and got a few drops just before pulling into a gas station. It seems that we were riding between storms all day but never really got wet.

Dave, I put the Yamaha OEM rack on my 03 RSMV and that worked fine. I put the GW rack on my 08 RSV and it's working out well also. Did U get a looksee at it Saturday?

Pam and I had a good time grippin n grinnin n eatin with ya'll that came down here. Lookin forward to another gettogether before Pam heads off to Afghanistan in Feb..

Dave, I put the Yamaha OEM rack on my 03 RSMV and that worked fine. I put the GW rack on my 08 RSV and it's working out well also. Did U get a looksee at it Saturday?

Pam and I had a good time grippin n grinnin n eatin with ya'll that came down here. Lookin forward to another gettogether before Pam heads off to Afghanistan in Feb..

Now that you mention it I did take a look at it. The pics online make it look out of place but it looked good on your bike. I found a place online (Motoshop.com) that sells the Kuryakyn 7150 for the GL1500 for about $70 shipped so I've about decided to try that one.

Hey, we definitely enjoyed ourselves too. I'm probably going to suggest a central MS M&E next month... I have a couple of places in mind according to where everyone is coming from and each one has an interesting ride that isn't too far out of the way.

I'm hoping to have some communicators and new helmets next time, too!

Edited by BigBoyinMS

• 4 weeks later...

I have the yamaha rack.I bought mine from http://www.motorsportssupercenter.com .I think I

gave about $112 a year ago. I like it very much,and I think it looks better. I keep it waxed regularly and have no rust or pitting problems. 1 word of caution, if you get the

GoldWing rack and do not like it,you can't change it out because it is made different and

the holes will not line up. One of my friends has a GoldWing rack and it has rust and pitting and he is forced to buy the same one for this reason. I too like the straps under the Yamaha rack for weight distribution.

• 11 months later...
Well, if you are looking for quality and price isn't an issue, you could always get this one:

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/1649

Even though it is designed for the Gold Wing, it will work on the Venture as well.

Joe

Might be the color of the bike in the picture but that is homely.....................nah, it's UGLY. Yuck. Sorry..don't intend to hurt any feelings. Guess it's in the eyes of the beholder, huh?