IGNORED

Dragon claims another rider

eazyduzzit

This is just a reminder to everyone to be careful when you visit "the Dragon". There was another article in the Knoxville News Sentinel today about a woman from Canada who lost her life Sunday. She was riding a Suzuki (didn't list the model) she ran off the left side of the road and hit a tree.

It seems like it's getting more and more common to read about these deaths in the paper. I know some people think "It was just a crazy biker", but she was a 52 yr. old woman somebody's daughter, and probably someone's wife and someone's mother.

Those sort of things can happen so fast . One second of lost concentration on a road you aren't familiar with and you can be in trouble rally fast. The loss of a rider and a woman rider at that is a terrible thing. Prayers to her family wherever they are.

It is a shame for any loss of life, woman or man it doesn't make any difference.

Lets all remember that age doesn't define who you are or how you ride. I know 50 year olds who ride on the edge every day and I know a 25 year old who rides like he is 90.

The reason wrecks are more prevalent is that there are 10 times more bikes on the road than 10 years ago. More riders makes the incidents go up.

No matter what the age of the rider it is paramount that road conditions be monitored constantly when riding.....and ya darn well better know your limitations on that scoot or the price you pay could be with your life.

I feel for the family of that woman. Somebody lost a Mother,daughter,Aunt,wife,and a vital part of a family.

Boomer......who knows its better to ride invisible rather than invincible.

Guest seuadr

That is a real shame.

it hurts all of us when we lose someone from motorcycling.

I am probably one of those guys that ride like i am much older than i am. I don't ride like a 90 year old man, but i don't push myself to the limits of my ability because quite honestly, i don't need it for the thrill, and i don't want to make a minute mistake that very easily could end my life.

I'm not ripping on people that do, by any means, they have courage greater than mine.

I will pray for her family.

Having just completed the Dragon a couple weeks ago, I'm surprised there's not double digit reports of deaths on that road. It is over-crowded and has more than a few idiots who feel that they are world-class riders taking turns on a world-class track. I pulled over three times to let the speed freaks go by. Equally daunting are the fools coming at you from around a blind bend, leaning into your lane as they try to negotiate a tight turn. More than once I released the throttle and swerved right to avoid "bumping" helmuts. And like I said in an earlier post, I never got out of 2nd gear and I still managed to scrape my pegs once. Not a road to fool around on.

Some may say I go too slow, some say too fast, but you cant please everybody, I always lead at a pace everyone can stay with and enjoy the ride..........if they want to go faster, they can go ahead of the rest.............thats my plan and I stick to it.............

Prayers going out to the family of the lady...............

Remember folks, what happepns may not be your fault but the fault of some crazy crotch rocket rider............thats why the Tenn and NC leo's are out there in force, you rarely see them with a cruiser or a tourer pulled over. They are there to protect us, not hinder us................

When I have been on the Dragon, my biggest fear is getting clipped by a crotch rocket that lost it or could not keep it in their lane. For those of us from this area, the Dragon is not anything special, other than the comradiery of the other bikers. We have a lot of good roads that are even more curvy and the speed limit is 55, not 30. But they don't have the following the Dragon has and I am glad.

From the news report, it sounds like there have been three deaths so far this year on the Dragon, but it did not say they were all motorcyclist. This is a sad story and with her being from Ontario, this was probably one of her like's dreams as a motorcylist, riding the Dragon.

RandyA

Guest wrench

Randy, have you ever ridden 32 from Cosby to the Appalacchian Trail? I found that piece of paradise 3 years ago, as sweepy as 129, but VERY little traffic. The only problem is that it's gravel past where the Trail crosses it, but you can go on down by the old TVA generating plant at Waterville, or over to Maggie Valley. Mountain Momma's used to be a good shady place to stop and get a old drink and a sandwich, but it's closed now.

Guest seuadr
From the news report, it sounds like there have been three deaths so far this year on the Dragon, but it did not say they were all motorcyclist. .

RandyA

oh ya, i've seen videos on various media sites with people in cars driving like complete tools also. it's really sad there are so many people out there that have the attitude like "i'm gonna get mine and if you get hurt in the process, too bad!" :(:(

Randy, have you ever ridden 32 from Cosby to the Appalacchian Trail? I found that piece of paradise 3 years ago, as sweepy as 129, but VERY little traffic. The only problem is that it's gravel past where the Trail crosses it, but you can go on down by the old TVA generating plant at Waterville, or over to Maggie Valley. Mountain Momma's used to be a good shady place to stop and get a old drink and a sandwich, but it's closed now.

I was thru there many years ago in a car. I would not want to take to my bike on the road I was on. We ended up down in a valley and watched elk graze. At that time, the gravel area was pretty rough.

RandyA

It's always a tragedy when we lose a rider, especially in a single vehicle incident (bad ENOUGH ya gotta dodge the cages!!) My sincerest sympathy for her family.

The Dragon, as noted earlier, is a seriously intense place-combine a very challenging road with high volumes of MC traffic AND some folks who think they're Valentino Rossi and it's not a nice place to be.

Too often folks get in over their heads, esp. on technically tough roads. When I see all the young dudes on their 150 horse sportbikes I cringe a little. I KNOW back when I was bulletproof I would've use all 150, and I'm sure some of them do too. High horsepower + inexperienced rider is ALWAYS a recipe for disaster. Too often folks ride for a few miles, think the "know" the machine and get in over their heads. A thought to remember: Evil Kneival (not known as the sanest rider out there) said "If you ever get where you think you know how to ride PARK IT"......