IGNORED

Venture Speed Wabbels

:confused24:My 2006 venture has a problem with hands free travel. It first happened on a road trip loaded down my dealer said just needed more air in rear shock. Now it doesn't happen all the time but i'm scared to let go of my bars. As long as you have hands on bars there is no problem but when you turn them loose evan in decell they "sometimes" speed wabble. Has anyone else had this happen and do you have any thoughts? I have checked brakes forks and wheel for play and can't find any thing wrong.

My 2006 developed similar traits. Several months after getting it new, I discovered that at about 30 mph coasting, if I lightened up on my grip or momentarily released the handle bar the front wheel would begin warbling and feed on itself getting more pronounced until I gripped the bars again to dampen it out.

:sign woo hoo:

A few months later I added some air to my tires (front tire was showing about 26 psi) :sign07:increasing it up to about 37 psi (added air to rear tire too). Bike handled much better and I tried to see if the same warble would occur. Seems to have changed the conditions. Now I only feel a slight burble at about 35 mph as I’m accelerating through that speed or if I hold that speed constant. I can’t seem to duplicate it while coasting. :confused24:I guess tire air pressure is important.

:sign02::doh::innocent:

Ok first off, Why would you release both hands from the handle bars?

Now on to your problems and the fix. What you are describing is usually caused by one of several conditions. The shock air pressure being one but not high on the list of probable causes.

Tire cupping can cause this along with improper air pressure, you should be able to run your hand around the tire and feel if it is cupping.

What is more than likely your problem is the steering bearing is loose and needs to be tightened. It is not really hard to do as long as you have the proper equipment.

Follow this link and it will tell you what to do:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=511

And oh yeah, "DON'T TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THE HANDLEBARS" This is not a bicycle when you drop one of these people get hurt.

:confused24:My 2006 venture has a problem with hands free travel. It first happened on a road trip loaded down my dealer said just needed more air in rear shock. Now it doesn't happen all the time but i'm scared to let go of my bars. As long as you have hands on bars there is no problem but when you turn them loose evan in decell they "sometimes" speed wabble. Has anyone else had this happen and do you have any thoughts? I have checked brakes forks and wheel for play and can't find any thing wrong.

It happened to me just the other day. So tonight I checked the tire preasure the rear tire was down by 5 lbs. Haven't had it back out yet but tomorrow I'll check if it does it again.

I always seemed to get a wobble after a certain amount of tire wear. Always kept the right pressure, and it happened anyway. As soon as I put on a new tire, smooth as glass. But I guess low pressure could bring it on pretty quick. :whistling:

Tire pressure is important but so are the steering head bearings. It's a good thing to do every once in a while, test out the system by easing up or letting go of the handle bars at slower speeds, this will bring out the worst in the problem department and indicate that there will be an issue soon, and better at slow speeds under control, then at 140 k going down the hyway.

I went to a smaller front tire last spring. The 130 from the stock 150. No other changes. No more wobble. It happened to me a few times last summer, the wobble I mean, always when decelerating. Not a fun thing. The bike also feels about 100#s lighter with the smaller tire for some reason and handles better all around. Good luck and in the meantime hang on tight please :)