IGNORED

Float levels, and carb kits

RandyR

I ran accross the following site today that has carb enhancement kits that it claims help overall power levels for us:

Standard drop-in carb kit

Adds more low-end / midrange, if the proper main jet is selected, more topend power. Easy to install and tune - no slide drilling!

http://www.factorypro.com/ select Yamaha and scroll down to xvz13 Venture.

They also say The needle jet orifice wears oblong in as little as 5,000 miles and is particularly aggravated by "in town", low rpm operation. The result is excessive richness at low rpm that can be partially compensated for by lowering the fuel level. which might help explain why the factory sets the carb floats to run lean? Just a thought.

They sell a carb float level adjustment tool. attachment is the tool.

Kind of interesting, little pricey but interesting. Wonder what will happen to the gas mileage? Usually it takes more fuel to make more horsepower. I know the needles rattle around in holes but I didn't know it was causing wear as they describe. I thought the springs that set on top the needles would keep that from happening?

I also note of interest and I did not mention this before because I didn't want Kent to accuse me of being overly stupid but I see they include new springs that hold the slides into the Carburetor. I did an unscientific check of the 4 springs in my Carbs and found one to be weaker then the others. I got a new one from the dealer and it seemed to be equal to the ones I had. Probably need to have the carbs sync'd now after changing that spring. Don't know if it makes any difference but I changed it just the same.

I'm not to concerned about more zip from the bike, it does me well the way it is.

It will run the speed limit. LOL.

BOO

They also say The needle jet orifice wears oblong in as little as 5,000 miles and is particularly aggravated by "in town", low rpm operation. The result is excessive richness at low rpm that can be partially compensated for by lowering the fuel level. ...

Well, they may be right in that Statement, when you mounted their Jet Needles.

Factory Pro is using Titanium Needles and those are prone to wear out the Needle Jet fast.

5000 mls, this might be right if you're riding in Town only. But this is mostly with other Carbs than those our Bikes use. E.g. the Downdraft Crabs from the YZF 1000 and early R1's are prone to such wear very premature.

• 2 weeks later...