I usually ride with a 3/4 helmet and usually listening to music. Today I went out with the half helmet and I couldn't believe how noisy that engine is. It's like I can hear all of the mechanical noises that are going on in there. Are they all like that?

I usually ride with a 3/4 helmet and usually listening to music. Today I went out with the half helmet and I couldn't believe how noisy that engine is. It's like I can hear all of the mechanical noises that are going on in there. Are they all like that?

Are you referring to the loud annoying WHINE noise coming from the engine?

I haven't heard it coming off of mine in ages.. I just got so used to it I don't hear it anymore

I've owned an '85 and an '87 before this '06. I couldn't believe how noisy the engine on the '06 is compared to the other 2. Essentially, it's the same engine. I compared to to a few other's and most sounded the same except for a couple that were quieter. I also went to the dealer and had the mechanic listen real close ... this guy knows his stuff and he says that's how they sound. It seems like every moving part can be heard. Mine also has a fairly loud ticking sound when I first start it ... lasts for about a minute...maybe 2 at the most. I heard that is associated to the cam chain adjuster which is hydraulic.

I figgure, what the heck ... it's got a warranty so if something is wrong, Yamaha can fix it. So, I just drive it and lately, now that I got a few miles on it, I've been crankin it on pretty good sometimes. Hit the rev limiter a couple times yesterday...on purpose, just to see if it would (or wouldn't) blow up! LOL

I've also been training myself to run it at higher revvs (stay in a gear longer) to get away from that gawdawful whine ... seems to be working. I've also stopped wearing my half helmet and staying with the 3/4 as that cuts out a lot of the engine noises.

I just put in some Mob 1, 20W 50W V-Twin oil.

No particular reason, just decided to give it a try, as was going on 4 day trip.

Anyway, the engine on the 89 does seem a little quieter with the heavier Oil.

??? :fiddle:

I believe it's the fuel pump(s) that make that clicking noise, especially when turning on the ignition key for the first time for the day.

no, that's not the noise I was referring to ... the ticking happens AFTER the engine has started. Fuel pump has already done it's thing and generally, it only ticks for a couple seconds ... usually around 3-5 ticks.

It takes a little while for the oil pressure to snug up the cam chain tensioners and then the noise goes away. All of the oil from the top drains down into the pan overnight and it just takes a little while to get around to the topside. Mine has done that since day it but it always quiets down. I usually leave it at a slow idle till it levels off, then I take off with it. It worried me also when I first got it but now it's second nature. Don't forget, many of these beasts in our forum are in the 6 figures for mileage and the noise is still present without any problems.

Brian

I got the RK's on mine ... they sound good but I'm going to drill them out for a bit more "volume". That, along with the tunes, a 3/4 helmet, and running at higher revvs should all but drown out any bothersome engine noises LOL ... now what to do with that whine commin from the back seat??? (hope she doesn't read this post ... sorry darlin... I'm just joshin)

:eek:

I got the RK's on mine ... they sound good but I'm going to drill them out for a bit more "volume". That, along with the tunes, a 3/4 helmet, and running at higher revvs should all but drown out any bothersome engine noises LOL ... now what to do with that whine commin from the back seat??? (hope she doesn't read this post ... sorry darlin... I'm just joshin)

:eek:

On these RSVs, what resides on the back seat is the 2 up "Rev Limiter"!! It usually kicks in at about 4500-5000 RPMs and intensifies with the RPMs. When I ride alone, I can make it kick in at about 7500 RPMs. Only sweet engine noises!!

Brian