IGNORED

Mt. Washington trip

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

Want to make a trip and ride up Mt. Washington and dip into Quebec so I can add another color to the patch...

Any recommendations for places to stay in the Mt. Washington area that does not break the budget? Any must see's in the area?

Are there any regional food specialties in that area?

I will ride up from the Harrisburg PA area.

Last time I was up Mt Washington by bike was 30 years ago. It was truly breathtaking. I have no idea what restaurants are there now and hotels but we stayed at a nice on right off of 93. Back then it was the end of 93 and I dont know if it was extended. We also ate at DQ alot even back then.....:178:

Guest Ken8143

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it. I thought maybe someone had been there sort of recently and would have information about lodging.

It's a tourist area and prices are designed to break the bank. There is a Holiday Inn Express in North Conway, NH but chances are they will be in the $100.00 a night range. I have stayed at the Best Western Red Jacket Mountain View Resort. It's rated pretty high in quality but also kinda pricey ($129.00 and up)

Take the Cog railroad out of North Conway and consider going up Mt Washington. I have done it with a car but never a motorcycle. Try this website for more info:

http://www.northconwaynh.com/

Edited by silverdeer0454
added link

Guest Ken8143

OK - I am pretty decided to make a ride to Mt. Washington. Any must see's up there? I assume you can ride the bike up OK? and I hear weather can be changable so I will take lots of duds along just in case.

Hope to go in next two weeks.

Getting excited about this!

The highest winds ever recorded on this planet were at Mt Washington. Make sure you take your camera, and extra clothes...a VERY good idea! Sometimes it can be wicked hot at the summit and an hour later your wondering why you didn't bring the Ski-Doo! I am pretty sure you will like the area. I miss the East Coast sometimes. Stop in Plattsburgh NY if you get the chance, great history in that area. I was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB (now closed) for 12 years And if your up that way you MUST visit Lake Placid! Here's the link to Mt Washington:

http://www.mountwashington.org/

OK - I am pretty decided to make a ride to Mt. Washington. Any must see's up there? I assume you can ride the bike up OK? and I hear weather can be changable so I will take lots of duds along just in case.

Hope to go in next two weeks.

Getting excited about this!

The wife and I did MT. Washington in a cage and loved it. If you're afraid of heights then be careful. Once up about halfway there are no guardrails and some huge drops. The wife was almost in my seat a few times. There were a number of bikes there with some 2 up so it can be done. Just make sure your brakes are in good working condition.

As for lodging you might want to try the Twin Mt. Area. It is off of 93 in the White Mt. Nat. Forest. It is about 30 Miles west of Mt. Washington and the rates as of last year were 75.00 dollars a night.

As for going up the Mt. itself i wish you lots of luck. Wife and i did it in my pickup and i decided then once in my life time was enough ( I don't like hight) and the road turns in to a dirt road about halfway up.

There are many great rides in New Hampshire with the most sort after by bikers being the cancamangis Highway.

Wish you luck and a safe ride.

Joe

I have ridden up on a bike quite a few times, just take it easy and you wont have any problems. The Kangamungus Byway is a nice ride, all the roads in that area are nice, Lake Placid/Whiteface is a neat area and there is a paved service road to the top (almost) Wish I could tag along:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Schedule the AutoRoad, that's the road to the top of Mt. Washington. 6, 288 feet up.

http://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

I have ridden up twice on my '84 VR (back down, too, of course) and hiked up once, took the cog railroad back down.

There is the Littleton Diner in Littleton, NH that is a fun little place to have breakfast.

Forgot all about the Littleton Diner! It looks like an old rail car and the food is excellent. Cool thing about it is breakfast is served all day. Try the Littleton pancakes, they are made locally at a grist mill.

There are some nice places to stay in Conway and North Conway that are not too bad price wise. A place I stay at now and then is the Green Granite Inn on Rt 16 in No Conway. You should definitely take a ride down the Kangamangus (Rt 112) off Rt 16. It is a great ride on two wheels.

The ride up the Auto Road on Mt Washington is spectacular, but as someone else said, the edge of the road drops right off. The temp can be 80 deg when you leave the base and be below freezing when you get to the top, so have some extra clothing.

The Cog railway goes up the side of Mt Washington. It is a little pricey, but the view is unbelievable. I live about 3 hrs from Mt washington, so I go on several rides to that area every year. It is worth the trip. Enjoy!

Barkeep1956

We did the Mt Washington thing 2 years ago 2 up on my 05. Trip is interesting until mile 5 of 8, then the pavement stops and its a packed dirt, gravel kinda surface which makes it REALLY interesting. No guardrails and watch for the cages coming the other way.

Wife says she will NOT do it again LOL

There's usually a 30 plus degree difference betweeen the top and bottom so be dressed accordingly.

The Kankamangus is a great ride.

we stayed a ways away, at the Lincoln Lodge in Lincoln, nice place but not cheap.

Mt. Washington can be beautiful, especially if you catch a day with a view. We were told that most days are too cloudy at the top to provide any type of view, but got lucky and hit it on a clear day. Here's a few pics from my trip back in 2006. We were on the mountain August 12th, be sure to see the temps that day...and the wind speeds...keeping the bike steady up there can be a challenge.

We stayed at the Town & Country Inn up in Shelburne on Rt. 2, very bike friendly as we were holding our Virago Owner's Club reunion there. If I remember they also had reserved parking spaces for each room, so your bike was always right outside.

ps. Road trips can be exciting - don't forget the passport! New laws in effect this year.

Edited by McBrush