IGNORED

Testing the waters for a MI VR rally

ArticusMedicus

I have at my disposal an 80 acer piece of land ( Baja MX Millington MI )

use satellite view and zoom in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=baja+mx&ie=UTF8&near=mi&f=l&split=1

After talking to the owner of the track they are open to the idea of hosting a rally/get together on their property.

We could offer a large community bon-fire at night, as well as individual camp/cooking fires, swimming pond, port-a-lets (clean), Movies at night (outside, drive in style) via projection TV and a DVD player on a 12'x12' screen, A concession stand for lunch ( burgers, hot dogs, Pizza, chicken strips, Fries, sodas...ect.) There is a lot of land for camping. Frankinmuth is a stones throw away, Prime outlets mall just down the road, and some nice riding in the county.

I am just wondering how many folks would be interested in something like this.

We could even have a trial run the last week of Aug this year if anyone was interested in just getting together with friends.

What you guys think? Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Art~

Art,

A few years back I toyed with the idea of having the international rally here in Michigan. My thought was having it up by Mackinaw as many folks have never seen a suspension bridge like "Big Mac". There is some beautiful riding in the northern lower, the fort at Michilimacinac is a cool draw as well as Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish point in the Upper Pennisula.

I'll tell you from planning a rally that it's a LOT and I mean LOTS of work. That being said, and as others have mentioned......plan it, and they will come.

If you move on with this I will help in any way I can. I live between you and Millington on Kearsley Lake.

If you are talking about the track on Birch Run Road there are plenty of motels and restaurants close by.

Edited by KarlS
added contant

We were in Frankenmuth yesterday visting the shops and eating some fine dinner. As noted there's enough stuff to do I don't think anyone could be bored.

I think two years ago Squidley held a meet & eat at the town micro-brewery too. We had a very good turn out for that one.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

Ic, that is the place.

Most of the stuff is already on or near the site. Like the port-a-lets. Grocery store/gas station within three miles.

What am I missing in my initial thoughts of what would be needed?

I just woke up after working the late shift, so I am stuck on stupid till the coffee takes hold.

when???, sounds like a blast

We are stuck with dealing with Baja's race and practice schedule. We have the last weekend in August open. That weekend we could gather at the site and see what we think.

We can camp for the weekend or just for the night...what ever you like. As noted there are hotels about five miles away near I-75.

I have never planed anything involving more than ten people, so I am kind of at a loss as to what all is needed.

If anyone wishes to get together on the last weekend, which would be the 28th-30th of August. Let me know. If you have a clue as to how to plan something like this, any suggestions would be welcome.

This is an over view takin from a helicopter a couple of years ago, this is about 8-10k people ( We had 1200 racers per day that weekend)..http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/Wheellock/Bajaarielview.jpg

There would be plenty to do for Adults and kids. Go Karts, miniture golf, a walk thru outdoor zoo that was just featured on Great Getaways, a Dinner that Hollywood just used for filming for a new movie thats coming out. Birch Run prime Outlet Mall, John's reataurant that's been on the travel channel and food network 3 or 4 times. ( a must go place) Dixie Motor Speedway is just down the road and they race on Fridays. Then of course there is Frankenmuth. There's also a campground a couple miles away that has full hook-ups. Out enough to be in the country but close enough to be able to buy anything you may need.

Art,

I'm just a couple of miles from you.

If you wish I would be happy to help, many riders have expressed interest in coming to Michigan. If you are looking to start an annual event you have already started the ball rolling, do the first one and build from that. If you just want to test the waters, they are flowing. I have a few ideas give me a call and we can do a coffee somewhere and brainstorm this thing.

Gary

I'm close enough to make that a short day trip. I have not done any camping in a long while but may just give it a try some place close to home just to give it a try again.

(That way I can get back to my own bed in an hour if it does not work out too well. lol)

I would suggest to have a ride in this year with an expected small group and just let it grow from there in ideas, planning, and attendance. It really does not take a large number to have a successful and fun weekend and there will be a lot less stress in getting the thing going in following years.

I'm in.

Joe

This is odd , YOU must have been reading my mind....or did you here my wife say are u nuts.. I had mentioned to her this morning. I thought it would be kinda neat to have a camp-over meet eat , one weeked,,? after all we have 5acres on one side of the road and three more on the other side with a swinpond that we can use(family farm ) and then the list began. of everthing that I :thumbsup:would be doing before it happened..... but since your stepping up to the plate......L E T S GO. looks like a good area not a tourist trap lil off the beatin path. allmost in squigs back yard...

o but wait, could we also say its part going away party for squigly? ?

Hey Art, that is a Great Idea, a Michigan International Rally at the end of August. Usually dry weather at that time. Just make it work people will come. Find out how much to camp, local motel prices, food, etc. Never been to that track, but heard it is awsome. Later-

Guess I better get those knobbys mounted up to the Venture rims, eh? I know that Kevin (Leadwolf56) also has a Lake Michigan ride scheduled sometime around that time frame. Not sure what his dates are for it.

Dan

Sounds like a great place for the International next year.

Only problem I can see is that hosting it at the end of August would conflict with the annual Pork in the Pines held in Minnesota over the Labor Day week-end.

:15_8_211[1]:

Regarding the calendar Pork on the Pines is in September 4th, not in August. So we're Ok.

:happy34::happy34::happy34:

Sounds like a great place for the International next year.

Only problem I can see is that hosting it at the end of August would conflict with the annual Pork in the Pines held in Minnesota over the Labor Day week-end.

:15_8_211[1]:

and conflict with kids going back to school..........many of us couldnt make it