IGNORED

Hum m m m

dksmith196958

I might still be suspicious of the front tire. Mine was quiet traveling straight and sang in the curves (more so in one direction than the other) New tires a couple of weeks ago and she's quiet now (and turns and feels much better too!)

Does the sound change with the type of pavement? This might indicate the tire.

D0 you have any play in the wheel if you try and rock it side to side by hand?

Good Luck! It's smart to pay attention to little sounds like this that are different.

James

Because you have the MKI VR (1983 to 1985) you have the solid (non slotted) rotors. A few answered questions might give us a clue as to what is making the noise. Are you more of a right front (hand brake) kinda' guy? Or do you use the foot brake regulary? Do you know for a fact that the right rear caliper/ left front brake caliper are functioning properly? Are you using the HH sintered brake pads on the front calipers? Is the Left front brake caliper dragging slightly? ( with bike on center stand, lift under oil pan with jack, spin front wheel) If you have checked the tire and spin the front wheel and the bearings rotate properly, you could have a "glazed" left front rotor and what you are hearing is the brake pads in the left front caliper "chattering" against the glazed rotor creating a harmonic vibration. As you lean more or go faster in the turn the vibration sounds like a hummmm. If I was going to go to all of the trouble to remove the wheel to replace the front bearings I would use a scotch brite disc and deglaze both rotors on both sides and have a real close look at both calipers.(rebuild) Then the entire front end would be "good as new". If you will answer the above questions, we will see if we can nail it down for you.

Earl

40 psi both tires no bumps or cuts dunlops new last july7200 miles??

I'd suspect the tires, even at that "low" miles. My tires started humming in curves somewhere around 5000 kilometers (and that's on the whole bike, not just the tires). I had a hum on my '87 .. baffled me for quite a while...until I changed the tires...hum went away.

Edited by SilvrT

40 psi both tires no bumps or cuts dunlops new last july7200 miles??

I say tires also. 7200 miles on a set of Dunlops is good. I never got more then 6000-6500 before I had to make a change. I went with Michelin Commanders and am very happy.

Just once I would like to get over 6k.

I'm at work at the moment so can't remember what the stock tires are... Bridgestone? ... anywayz, I now have 14,000 km on the scoot and there's still lots of tread life left...probably half or more ... so what's that... about 8700 miles?