IGNORED

Rear brake pedal use

BigBear

In order for me to apply the rear brake pedal, I have to lift my foot completely off of the floorboard to apply the rear brake.

Are there any type of control/modification that would allow me to leave my heel on the floorboard and still be able to apply the rear brake?

Or is this just something to live with? (It is what it is)...

Yup, same here. My heel stays on the floorboard. I am only 5'8"... but I guess I cannot say that I am normally proportioned as my size 14 boot probably helps me out a little bit - in fact the heel-toe shifter deal gets in the way :-\

Have you tried training yourself to keep that right heel firmly on the floorboard while using that rear brake? It is very easy to get into the habit of lifting the foot to hit that rear brake pedal.............and a tough job to re-train that right foot too........:shock3:

Boomer.......who only romps the right foot on the wife's cat now.

When I'm going from the highy pegs to the brake I sometimes don't put my foot down on the board right away, but if I'm riding with my foot on the floor board I just lift my toe and swivel on my heel to get the brake.

This is my first bike with floor boards and/or forward positioned controls and it has been a bit of an adjustment for me to get used to.

My background is off road and all my street bikes before the Venture had pegs, and for me it seemed more natural to cover and access the brake (and shifter) with pegs. I've adjusted nicely and don't really have any trouble with it, and the trade off in comfort is worth it!

I move my feet all around, so this is not an issue for me. i just use the brake how & when it's necessary. I am 5' 6" & I could probably do the heel down & toe to brake, but then that would be a procedure. procedures are for changin' oil & such. Just ride, shift and brake.

Hmmmm...I'm 6'3 with a 36" inseam, and in a seated position, with my heels on the floorboards, my feet tend to turn outwards. In this position, (with long legs) I would have to "roll" my right-foot inward approx. 3" to even reach the pedal. This may have to do with inflexibility....(gettin' old)...but I think it's because of the long legs!!

To me..it seems like I should move the whole brake pedal forward 2-3 inches, and make the pedal approx 1-2 inches longer.

Are there "custom" brake pedals that add 2-3 inches to the pedal assembly? Has anyone done something similar?

Any other "long leggers" out there??? Do you encounter the same symptoms?

I am also long legged. Because of the angle of my knees/ankles etc., I cannot brake with my feet on the boards. When I use the rear brake, I lift my foot completely off the floorboard. I don't use a lot of rear brake in normal driving, other than slow speed maneuvering - sometimes in combination with front brake and downshifting if I have to bleed off speed ina hurry. Its far too easy to lock up that rear brake!

Ross

I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseam, and I never lift my foot off of the floorboard to use the rear brake. I'm sure that this whole-leg approach is a major contributor to the rear brake lock-ups that some have reported, which I have never experienced.

I wonder if a change of seating position would be the solution. If you can't move the brake pedal further forward, can you find a way to move your hip backward though removing some seat padding behind (not beneath) your back side, or changing the curvature of the seat (if you are sliding too far forward)?

I know this doesn't help you but wanted to say thanks to Boomer & some of the others as I'm going to try to train myself to keep my heel on the floor as I have a tendency to lock the rear tire in panic stop situations but am also considering the Butler brake mod as I beleive insticts may overide training in a true PANIC situation. I'm sure it looked impresive to the guy behind me as I slid sideways and strsightened backup um Twice but he don't know I left a third skidmark in a hard to see place:scared:

You might want to try just using your toes on the brake pedal. If you use the ball of your foot you are putting to much pressure on the rear brake causing rear wheel lockup. Just practice using your toes.

tew47

You might want to try just using your toes on the brake pedal. If you use the ball of your foot you are putting to much pressure on the rear brake causing rear wheel lockup. Just practice using your toes.

tew47

I'm going to second this... I use my toes/end of my foot with my heel planted on my floor board and have yet to lock up the rear wheel in an emergency stop (I have only had a couple).

ALSO, one thing that I have done is not long after I got the bike, I went out to the street I live on (it is a dead end road - a parking lot would have worked fine too) and spent some time practicing emergency stops. I locked up the rear tire a few times, just so I knew where the limit was (on dry pavement anyway) and what it would feel like with this bike. This does not guarantee that you will not lock up the rear wheel, but what it WILL do is give you a feel for the limits of applying the rear brake and you can train yourself how hard to push down when you have that 'oh shucks' moment.

I have found that there is PLENTY of stopping power between the front brake and downshifting that even with light use of the rear brake one can stop very quickly.

Good luck friends

Keep 'em Rollin'

- Rick M.

Ok everybody... Motorcycle Safety Program Rider Coach here. What we teach in the course for the braking exercises:

1. Slow, progressive squeeze of the front brake lever. For normal braking use less squeeze, for quick stops use more squeeze. DO NOT SQUEEZE ANY FASTER for a quick stop. The way it works is like this - the first part of the squeeze gets the weight onto the front tire. You now have traction for utilizing more squeeze to stop.

2. Always use light pressure on the back brake. The action of braking on a motorcycle causes the weight to be transferred to the front tire (see above). 70% of your braking power is from the front brake, 30% from the rear brake.

3. If you lock the back tire from overbraking, keep it locked until you're completely stopped. Hold the handlebars steady so the bike keeps moving in a straight line, no matter what the back tire does and use your front brake to stop. If you let off the back brake while skidding on a hard surface, you risk doing a high-side. This is one place where gravel is more forgiving.

4. Left foot down first. Keep the right foot on the brake until stopped.

Here in Pennsylvania, we offer an experienced rider course (ERC) where you bring your bike to a training class. We work to get your skills better on your bike.

Here in Pennsylvania, we offer an experienced rider course (ERC) where you bring your bike to a training class. We work to get your skills better on your bike.

This course is available out of PA too...

See your Motorcycle Safety Foundation web site or instructor ASAP to sign up.

It may save your life!!!!!