IGNORED

How long should the dealer need?

How long should i give the dealer to fix my 07 for the rear end noise:sick: before i start jumping up and down and screamming? I dropped it off last week and they are just getting to take the final drive off. They say they spoke to the Yama service rep and it seems as though they waiting for the rep to tell them what to look for and how to repair. I thought these dealers were supossed to be service tech's.:confused24:

It shouldnt take that long to get it done, but I think more and more shops are hiring wantta b's to work on theses things. I had an 8000 mile service done on mine along with the tires changed and the rear splines and hub greased and realined, and it only took them two days, but had to take it back because the front wheel was on backwards. And no new Plugs, the guy said they looked good....... I cannt win for loosing, cause i have another dealer around but they wont get the bike in and out because i didnt buy from them. If i hadnt already pre paid for maintaince I would be doing it on my own. And that is still an option

That would depend on how busy they are and their level of ambition. Also whether they want to see you come back for your next scoot purchase. 'course here in lies a problem, how soon before you buy another scoot, will that be before your next car or will you buy 2 or 3 cars before another bike. Sooooooo if you already bought your ride and they don't expect you to buy another for quite some time....at present your just a PITA.

jmho

Here, in my general area, there are a few dealers. The mechanics are OK, but not good or better in my opinion. Sometimes, I think that other than changing oil, they are not trained on these bigger bikes - as again the dealers in our area, sell more dirt bikes, etc. My personal belief is if you only see something once in a blue moon, you are not - nor have reason to - up on all the latest information pertaining to - say - our bikes. And, I think, that that is part of Yamaha's / Stars problem - poor service on a consistant basis.

Then when we start asking them to add our favorite accessories, it seems like even with good instructions, most of the time they take the easy way out to install them - and not think things through. I just experienced this with my electrical problems, it took a friend of mine over 6 hours to clean up the mess my dealers had made of wiring up some of my accessories. My last dealing with the dealer I bought the bike from, I waited two weeks for them to change the tires (and I had an app't) - got upset - picked up my tires and bike and left - never been back. Goes back to my original comment - at least from my area - that the dealers are just not familiar with these bikes and only when it gets real slow, will they then look at them for whatever the service reason was.

On warranty work the dealer dare not do any thing Yamaha doesn't approve of other wise the dealer is out the cost. Sometimes the dealer makes the correct diagnosis but Yamaha has other ideas. So the dealer does what they are told and then if that proves wrong they get permission to do what is needed.

My bike is an example. When I took it in both the dealer, mechanic and I all agreed that it was the final drive that was at fault. But at that time Yamaha was pinning all of the whine problems on the clutch basket. So the dealer replaced the clutch basket. Of course that didn't fix the problem only make more noise. So then Yamaha let them replace the driveshaft back. Problem solved.

Since Yamaha pays the bill they will have the last say on warranty work. Be patient. Go along with them, but don't take no for an answer.

On warranty work the dealer dare not do any thing Yamaha doesn't approve of other wise the dealer is out the cost. Sometimes the dealer makes the correct diagnosis but Yamaha has other ideas. So the dealer does what they are told and then if that proves wrong they get permission to do what is needed.

My bike is an example. When I took it in both the dealer, mechanic and I all agreed that it was the final drive that was at fault. But at that time Yamaha was pinning all of the whine problems on the clutch basket. So the dealer replaced the clutch basket. Of course that didn't fix the problem only make more noise. So then Yamaha let them replace the driveshaft back. Problem solved.

Since Yamaha pays the bill they will have the last say on warranty work. Be patient. Go along with them, but don't take no for an answer.

Well thats what i was thinking. I figured the dealers hands are tied as to what they can fix. Luckly (maybe ) the dealer diagnosed the problem and the Yama Rep agreed cause they are lookind at the final drive. My thing is that they have had it for a week now and they are just getting to the tear down to see if this is it.

I will try to be patient.

Or, that is how long they kept mine! Dealer had to jump through hoops and Rep wasn't readily available and tried the old trial and error parts replacement until the noise went away. Actually, to the benefit of many RSV owners today, mine was the guinea pig when the ever popular "clutch basket" isn't the problem. But, the others are right, can't do any work until the check writer says so. Here's another bit of advice I found during my nine week vacation from riding (during prime riding season). You WILL waste your time calling the so called Customer Service Representatives (what a joke) in California. If you think your dealer is making you mad, and you are ready to jump up and down, call California!!! Just be sure you have someone standing by in case of stroke or heart failure!

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just reporting the facts.

:mo money::rant::mo money:And I thought I had it bad having to wait for a week on parts that the stealer probably has in stock for the 2nd gens.

I don't know if I could handle having the bike in the shop during riding season AND a payment book!:beer:

I think they had mine a week doing the clutch basket thing. when that didn't work they then had to get the final drive parts in. All in all i think it took two or three weeks.

Thats the route they are taking with mine. At first the dealer was gonna tear down the final drive. Then they contacted the Yama Rep. The Rep told them to change the clutch basket first. When i called the dealer they told me they had to do what Yama tells them. I told the dealer "well iguess if it has 3 known problems maybe they will fix them all while its there. I do not believe it is the clutch basket but theyr'e paying the bill and all i'm out is the bike for a fw more weeks.

Well it been 2 week now and no bike. Yesterday i called the dealer and they told me it was going on the lift tommorrow. I asked if it wasn't the clutch basket (which i dont think it is) how long before they got to the next step? the reply was "not sure". So i then called Yamaha Customer Service. I explained why i took the bike into the dealer , because of the "Rear end noise" and talked with him about the other know issues with the venture and told him that they have had the bike for 2 weeks now and that in 2 more weeks that the "Lemon Law " comes in to play.

After he gathered all the details from me he asked if the dealer was still opened. I said Yes. So he asked me to hold on and he was going to call the service dept. After a 10 minute hold he came back on the line and informed me that the clutch basket will be replaced in the morning and is this was not the problem the dealer would get right to "plan B" (looking into the rear). The yama rep. told me to let them know if i need anymore assistance and they will be glad to help. Oh well i will keep you posted as to how it works out.

DITTO ON EVERYTHING SAID!!

Yamaha coporate must approve all warrenty work or dealer is out the cost..

You would think the right thing to the Yamaha dealer would alreayd be "corporate approved" to provide the "OK" for any warrenty work up to a certain dollar amount.

Like...say...The dealer should have the authority to authorize any warrenty work up that falls into the category of $500.00 to $1,0000...after that, THEN...they must call Corporate to get furter authorization for more $$...

I strongly believe in giving the people who work for you, the authority to DO THIER JOB!!!

This past July, the wife and I were on vacation in the Lake Placid/Adirondack Mountains in northern N.Y., when my 2007 RSMV developed that annoying clicking noise from the rear end. Thankfully, a local dealer I contacted got me in the next morning, worked me in with their regularly scheduled appointments, and had my bike outta there before lunch. The mechanic explained the whole process to me. He said it takes less than an hour to do, but took him about 3 because he was working my bike in with his regulars. I hope this doesn't make you wanna pipe-bomb the dealer your bike is at...but the answer to your question is...one hour. that is...we are talking about the clicking noise from the rear end, right? not the clutch basket whine? (which my bike has not yet developed...knocking on wood)

My 07 RSV is in the shop right now for the "I" basket replacement.

Have a decent relationship w/our supporting dealer - here's how it went.

When we returned from STAR DAYS took the scoot in for another oil change.

Complaineded about the whine - they confirmed and started the ball rolling with Yamaha. Just 3 days ago i get a call that the clutch basket was in. So i dropped of the bike Tuesday night scheduded a pickup wednesday at close of business.

HOWEVER it wasn't ready - seems "the clutch cover gasket was torn when we opened the package".

hmm says I - that doesn't sound right - i suspect your tech ripped open the package not knowing there was a gasket in there and tore the thing.

I didn't receive a reply.....

anyway - i'll pick it up today and *HOPE* the whine has changed...

Ok so I get a phone call from the Dealer yesterday evening. It the General Manager. He tells me that they replaced the clutch basket and checked the rear spline for grease. but the sound that he is hearing is coming from the middle drive area. He goes on to say that there are 3 diferrent shims to order and they are not sure if it needs to shims up or shim out,so they will order the set of 3. Then we continue to talk about the Venture and he says that they are "noisey: bikes. Hmm I do expect some engine noise but not this much. I dont want anyone to think that I am Becoming A pain in the Butt customer. I just want the bike fixed and fixed right. He also tells me that he is not sure if they can Quite it down or not.

to be continued

The Sage Of Mikes Noisey Venture

Update:

I got a call from the GM at the dealership (i think we are becoming friends now) he told me that they think they foung the problem. It is in the middle drive gear. He went to they're sister dealership and brought up a new 07 RSV. They compaired the 2 middle drive and mine does have some play. He said they ordered the shim kit and will start on it as soon as the kit comes in. I might be seeing her back home by next weekend.

How long should i give the dealer to fix my 07 for the rear end noise:sick: before i start jumping up and down and screamming? I dropped it off last week and they are just getting to take the final drive off. They say they spoke to the Yama service rep and it seems as though they waiting for the rep to tell them what to look for and how to repair. I thought these dealers were supossed to be service tech's.:confused24:

Ventureblue any further info on your bike .

I spoke with my dealer Saturday re my noise & they are to phone Yamaha.

(I was there to have two screws replaced that fell out of the lower front chrome fender trim. An apparent problem.)

However, I did not leave the bike.