IGNORED

Please Help!!

trckrh

I have a 1983 Venture Royale. I rode this bike all over yesterday, went out to get on it this morning to go to church and it would not start. All it would do is every so often it would back fire. Where do i need to start? A guy at church said to start by checking the plugs. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check the battery voltage -- Engine OFF, Everything Off, Read voltage

across battery terminals --

Should be 12.1 to 12.2 volts if battery is a lead acid type.

IF low, then Charge the battery with a battery charger. ( 2 Amp rate for 6 to 10 hours )

Find the Carb Drain Valves-- One on each Carb, Drain Each carb. turn key on

as you open each drain valve, let fuel pump run gas thru each bowl for about 30 seconds.

Put some HEET in the Fuel Tank, then Completly Drain the fuel tank, at the Petcock.

Simple remove the fuel line at the petcock, and hook a length of rubber hose to drain the fuel into a container. ( Use the old fuel for your lawnmower )

Check the 15 Amp IGNITION FUSE HOLDER'S-- The prongs that hold the fuse in position might be loose ( carefull they are easy to break off )

Clean the " RUN - STOP " Switch with " electrical contact cleaner " Or WD-40 if you have nothing else.

Find the Neg Bat cable connection at the Fwd, Right corner of crankcase, ( near the water pump ) Remove that bolt and clean the bolt, and the Cable Stud.

Remove the TWO Plugs from the TCI, and Clean the Pins, ( located Under the Air Cleaner Box )

Remove all 4 spark plugs, and see what they look like --

Open up the Main 40 AMP fuse holder ( located just left of battery ) and check the two #1 phillips head screws that hold the fuse element in place, they might be loose.

Find the Connector in the 5 wire cable that runs from the Pickup coils, going to the 6 pin plug of the TCI, Left side of bike, just under you left knee as you sit on the bike.

Open the Plug, and Clean the male and female pin contacts, Be sure they all have a tight fit.

Find the 3 wire Large White Plug, that runs from the STATOR, going to the Rectifyer/Regulator unit. Open Plug, and Check for BURNT, FRIED, DAMAGED, pins in that plug ( This is a Very common Problem on these bikes !!!! ) Even if you find some other problem, DO THIS ANYWAY--IF plug is Damage, cut it out, and SPLICE THE THREE WIRES TOGETHER AT THIS POINT--- Use Western Union type Splice, and SOLDER THE NEW CONNECTIONS, -- AND APPLY 2 LAYERS OF HEAT SHRINK INSULATION---NOT, BLACK TAPE !!! ---

Replace the spark plugs. --

IF none of this helps, then Remove the Cover of each Carb, and Check the Rubber Diaphrams, for tears, and holes in the rubber. (( Each cover has a tamper proof Screw, one of the 4 ) If the tamper proof Screw is still installed then the bike still has the original Diaphrams, and Most Likley they Need to be Replaced !! Sorry this will cost a few bucks.

IF it still don't work, then call " Condor " !!!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

I read everyones messages here, above. But when the very same thing - same thing - happened to me, it was the carb diaphrams - had tiny holes that became bigger when I road the bike and shut it down, and presto - the next day it would not start BUT WOULD BACKFIRE. To get a temporary fix while my new diaphrams were ordered (there is a thread here somewhere that you can find about getting new ones) I took each out one by one, and sealed the holes in the diaphrams with a tiny layer of the blue silicone gasket maker (YES - I know it says don't use for gasoline applications - but it will hold for maybe 800 miles or so). That is at least one idea that you can try with immediate go/nogo test results. Additionally, the silicone gets yucky after a while, so don't leave it in there forever, just a short temporary trial.

Maby fuel filter needs to be replaced. Might be plugged.

Also, Is the fuel pump makeing the " clicking " sound, when

you first turn Key to the " ON " position ??

Yes it just started making that sound the other day after it quit. I was not sure what that sound was was :doh: . As for the plugs just changed them out. Was not aware that prev owner had 4 diff types of plug in motor. Now has 4 new plugs. As always any help is greatly appreciated.

TRCKRH

Take one of the plugs out, put it in the cap and stick it where it will make contact with the block, then try cranking it. The spark won't be great, but if ignition system is working, then you will be able to verify this.

Do you have an analog or digital meter? If so, can you use it? Or have someone around that can? We can go further at that point if spark is non-existant.

Good luck,

Dan