I bought a new battery for the 89 today. How do you charge yours when new? I'm going to pour in the acid and let it set for a few hours then charge at 2 amps for a day. My charger should kick back when it's full charged. I was hoping to ride this weekend but the licensee expired on the scoot July 1 and the DMV was closed today.I got to wait till Monday now and I'm going out of town next week.

I bought one of those no maintenance batteries a month or so ago and the parts man dumped the acid for me, said it should be in for an hour before charging then to just charge it with a 5 or 10 amp charger. He didn't suggest a slow charge at all.

In my opinion 5-10 amps is too much...I'd suggest putting in the acid, let it set for a couple of hours then trickle charge the battery until the light turns green..That may take a day or two but it will be worth it in the long run..

My intelligent answer is, "I'd do as the instructions say".

My real world answer is, "Battery is dry charged, I'd fill it and put it in the bike and go for a ride".

But that was before I had my Schumacher Battery Maintainer/Charger.

I bought a new battery for the 89 today. How do you charge yours when new? I'm going to pour in the acid and let it set for a few hours then charge at 2 amps for a day. My charger should kick back when it's full charged. I was hoping to ride this weekend but the licensee expired on the scoot July 1 and the DMV was closed today.I got to wait till Monday now and I'm going out of town next week.

Thats about as good as you can go.

Put my battery in and RIDE...:biker:

PS: I had to put "Ugly" on the charger today....

That one is less than a year old. Hasn't acted like it should since day one. Was one of the discontinued ones I grabbed up. It will stay up as long as being used but don't like to sit at all. It was slow charged over 12 hrs when I filled it.

Edited by Yammer Dan