IGNORED

Mirrors won't stay set

I guess after 11 years, what ever friction material holding the mirrors on my RSTC is starting to give up. I constantly have to readjust them. Short of super glue or duct tape has anyone come up with a way to tighten up the swivel joint between the back of the mirror and the mounting arm?

Edited by Black Owl

I guess after 11 years, what ever friction material holding the mirrors on my RSTC is starting to give up. I constantly have to readjust them. Short of super glue or duct tape has anyone come up with a way to tighten up the swivel joint between the back of the mirror and the mounting arm?

While I haven't had an opportunity to disassemble this specific mirror, most have a tension bolt in the base that can be tightened. You need to remove the mirror to access the bolt.

Hope this helps.

:mytruck:

While I haven't had an opportunity to disassemble this specific mirror, most have a tension bolt in the base that can be tightened. You need to remove the mirror to access the bolt.

Hope this helps.

:mytruck:

So, I can take the mirror (glass) out of the rubber trim ring to get to the tensioner bolt?

• 4 weeks later...

My 85 doesnt have a bolt going up from the base into the area behind the mirror, the glass will have to come out as the head of the bolt is behind the glass threading down into the base. I was wondering about drilling a small hole in the swivel part and seeing if threading a screw in will tightnen things up.

It sucks as my mirror is in great shape but at highway speeds it just doesnt stay in place at all

Brian

The 1st gen mirrors have the bolt and tensioning spring inside behind the glass and I haven't heard anybody get the glass out and the SAME glass back in... BUT I've heard of two that cut a SLOT in the bottom of the bolt threads sticking out the bottom and using THAT to reset the tension.

The 1st gen mirrors have the bolt and tensioning spring inside behind the glass and I haven't heard anybody get the glass out and the SAME glass back in... BUT I've heard of two that cut a SLOT in the bottom of the bolt threads sticking out the bottom and using THAT to reset the tension.

10\4 that works the best

I have removed the mirror from the housing by laying the mirror flat and filling it with carb cleaner over night. I have not done a RSV or RS but it should work if it is glued in. Carb cleaner eats the glue. Good luck Rod

Greetings...

Or a couple of drops of Elmer's Moo Glue (the plain old white stuff that we all ate as kids...) around the swivel - would hold it tight and would be easily removeable if/when needed...

I'd hit it first with some carb/brake cleaner to degrease it and remove any oils that might be providing unwanted lubrication...

:Cool_cool36: