IGNORED

Voltage/amperage output on RSV

Does anybody have a 'peak' amperage usage on a stock (factory) Venture (2007) I'm not at all familiar with the stator type generating system :think:

I've installed driving lights and would like to start stratigically placing some LED's. I realize most led have a milliamp draw but am concerned with light usage already on the bike.

Then with regard to more lighting, I'm pretty much dead in the water ?

No, LED's will be fine. I have the passing lights as well as 150 High intensity LED's with no problems. I also run heated gloves, grips, and socks during the winter.

If you are concerned about drawing too much power you can always pull the fuse for the carb heaters. I haven't heard of anybody really needing them. I ride in 12 degree weather with no ill effects. By pulling that fuse you get 60Watts/5amps back.

To be honest you could probably cover the entire bike with LED's and not tax the charging system. There are plenty of bikes out there with LED's as well as passing lights that run heated clothing too.

This is my experience. I changed my stator to the Buckeye one. I had always had power issues. I changed to leds but keep this in mind you need a load equalizer so you wont save power there. If you dont use it you will need to change out your flasher relays to ones that can accomadate the leds andyou will loose you auto cancel. I also had pulled the fuse on the carb heaters but that ended up making cold weather riding tougher. The carb heaters were designed to control icing not from temps but velocity of the air. Like letting air out of a tire it will come out cold and ice the valve even when it is warm. I consistantly had about 12.5 volts on the guage and if I turned on all the gizmos it would not charge. I changed to the buckeye stator and now chanrge at 13.3 consistantly on the guage. I removed the relays I changed to and put the canceller back in. Very happy to have that as I tend to be a victim of grandma turn signal syndrom. Do the Leds but also do the stator and you will be much happier not being on the edge of having enough power.

No, LED's will be fine. I have the passing lights as well as 150 High intensity LED's with no problems. I also run heated gloves, grips, and socks during the winter.

If you are concerned about drawing too much power you can always pull the fuse for the carb heaters. I haven't heard of anybody really needing them. I ride in 12 degree weather with no ill effects. By pulling that fuse you get 60Watts/5amps back.

To be honest you could probably cover the entire bike with LED's and not tax the charging system. There are plenty of bikes out there with LED's as well as passing lights that run heated clothing too.

That's good news - I really would like to put a "few" led's at various points but I DON"T want to change the stator.

This is my experience. I changed my stator to the Buckeye one. I had always had power issues. I changed to leds but keep this in mind you need a load equalizer so you wont save power there. If you dont use it you will need to change out your flasher relays to ones that can accomadate the leds andyou will loose you auto cancel. I also had pulled the fuse on the carb heaters but that ended up making cold weather riding tougher. The carb heaters were designed to control icing not from temps but velocity of the air. Like letting air out of a tire it will come out cold and ice the valve even when it is warm. I consistantly had about 12.5 volts on the guage and if I turned on all the gizmos it would not charge. I changed to the buckeye stator and now chanrge at 13.3 consistantly on the guage. I removed the relays I changed to and put the canceller back in. Very happy to have that as I tend to be a victim of grandma turn signal syndrom. Do the Leds but also do the stator and you will be much happier not being on the edge of having enough power.

I don't understand the "load equalizer " - I only want a maximum of 4 led clusters w/perhaps 6 to 8 led's in each. I can't imagine the load being more than an amp or two.

I don't understand the "load equalizer " - I only want a maximum of 4 led clusters w/perhaps 6 to 8 led's in each. I can't imagine the load being more than an amp or two.

You only need a load equalizer if you replace your turn signal bulbs with LED's. The LED's won't put enough of a load on the flasher unit to make it flash properly. They will flash super-fast, almost like a flicker.

Joe