IGNORED

Electrical problem???

Winesap7

Just purchased a 1990 Venture Royale trike one of those "as is" deals. Had to jump it to start as the battery was dead. I trailered it home and with a new battery attempted to start. When you turn the key on it goes through the checks, the red warning light comes on and the display says battery. The battery voltage drops from 12.5 to 3+ the lights are dim and I haven't hit the starter yet. Sounds like the switch has gone to ground, is that possible or is there something I'm missing. Thanks

Just purchased a 1990 Venture Royale trike one of those "as is" deals. Had to jump it to start as the battery was dead. I trailered it home and with a new battery attempted to start. When you turn the key on it goes through the checks, the red warning light comes on and the display says battery. The battery voltage drops from 12.5 to 3+ the lights are dim and I haven't hit the starter yet. Sounds like the switch has gone to ground, is that possible or is there something I'm missing. Thanks

12.5VDC is not a fully charged battery. Charge it and then see what happens.

1st of all, the battery display is only an indicator of water level if the battery has a level indicator.

If you are dropping from 12.3 to about 3 volts, either the battery is not ok or there is a huge drain that should get some wires hot real quick.

Another thing you will want to do is check the fusebox, especially if it is the old type and make sure the fuse holders are tight.

RandyA

You said that you had to jump it to start it when you picked it up. Will it start now if you jump it? If so, I would seriously suspect that you were one of the "lucky" ones who got a defective battery from the store. It happens more than you think.....

Either that, or the battery needs to be FULLY charged before you use it. Put it on a charger, not a maintainer, for 12 hours and then see what happens.

Although 12.5 may not be considered fully charged, it is high enough that the motorcycle should start.

If the voltage is dropping to 3 Volts, I would say you have a bad battery.

What model battery do you have in it?