IGNORED

4 Day Trip,

GeorgeS

Got back from 4 day trip yesterday, Seattle, to Kalispell Mt. and up to near Glacier Nat. park. Good run, bike performed great. Hit some bad road construction on Hwy 93 just north of Missoula, Mt. 10 miles of gravel.

I wanted to see " FlatHead Lake " area. Great place to ride. Weather still on the cold side up in that area. ( 42 deg. here in Seattle this morning, must be Global Warming !! )

On return trip yesterday on I-90 from Vantage Wa. to top of Cascade range, I hit some really bad cross winds, about 30 to 40 MPH Winds. Traffic on I-90 was heavy and running 70 to 75, and that wind was vicious. The 1st Gens Do NOT like cross winds. Frankly it was a battle to keep the bike on the road. Winds seemed to be changing direction, thru the canyons, getting hit from the left, then the right, etc.

For those 1st Gen riders, who have never encountered, high cross winds, be warned , these bike have a lot of surface for cross winds to have effect !!!

Anyway, 1250 mile 4 day trip, great ride, great scenery up around Glacier Nat. Park. Lots of bikes headed North on Mt. Hwy 93. A challenging ride, I highly reccomend. I also rode sections of Hwy #2, I highly reccomend, from Dakota's all the way to the Pacific Coast, if you have the time !! Deffinatly put Hwy #2 on your " To DO, Someday List " !!!!

Well, guess I will have to cut the grass today :headache: And wash the bike, its really dirty !!

We'll be on part of that route at the end of the month (july). Starting near Amarillo, TX we're headed up to glacier NP, cross the border into cardston then back around and a pass through sturgis just before it get's busy.

We're taking I25 up through Denver then I-90 back west to 287 across WY to 191 through yellowstone then I90 again to 93 through flathead and up through glacier. We then make the loop up in Canada back to I-15 to 87 south to 90 into sturgis then hit I25 back south again.

Anything to be concerned about on this route? Plenty of fuel? :) Any better routes to consider??

We'll be on part of that route at the end of the month (july). Starting near Amarillo, TX we're headed up to glacier NP, cross the border into cardston then back around and a pass through sturgis just before it get's busy.

We're taking I25 up through Denver then I-90 back west to 287 across WY to 191 through yellowstone then I90 again to 93 through flathead and up through glacier. We then make the loop up in Canada back to I-15 to 87 south to 90 into sturgis then hit I25 back south again.

Anything to be concerned about on this route? Plenty of fuel? :) Any better routes to consider??

Leave your pistol at home if you're planning on going into Canada.

Why all the interstate? There's lots of good and very scenic 2-lane all through your intended route. How many days are you planning on?

Got back from 4 day trip yesterday, Seattle, to Kalispell Mt. and up to near Glacier Nat. park. Good run, bike performed great. Hit some bad road construction on Hwy 93 just north of Missoula, Mt. 10 miles of gravel.

I wanted to see " FlatHead Lake " area. Great place to ride. Weather still on the cold side up in that area. ( 42 deg. here in Seattle this morning, must be Global Warming !! )

On return trip yesterday on I-90 from Vantage Wa. to top of Cascade range, I hit some really bad cross winds, about 30 to 40 MPH Winds. Traffic on I-90 was heavy and running 70 to 75, and that wind was vicious. The 1st Gens Do NOT like cross winds. Frankly it was a battle to keep the bike on the road. Winds seemed to be changing direction, thru the canyons, getting hit from the left, then the right, etc.

For those 1st Gen riders, who have never encountered, high cross winds, be warned , these bike have a lot of surface for cross winds to have effect !!!

Anyway, 1250 mile 4 day trip, great ride, great scenery up around Glacier Nat. Park. Lots of bikes headed North on Mt. Hwy 93. A challenging ride, I highly reccomend. I also rode sections of Hwy #2, I highly reccomend, from Dakota's all the way to the Pacific Coast, if you have the time !! Deffinatly put Hwy #2 on your " To DO, Someday List " !!!!

Well, guess I will have to cut the grass today :headache: And wash the bike, its really dirty !!

Glad you had a nice trip and got back safely. Today Blackjack and I rode in 95 degree heat but we decided it was better than staying at home cutting the grass in the heat. just remember if your washing the bike your not riding it.

About 8 miles N of Missoulla , the road is completly Torn up, both ways. Total Reconstruction of the base road bed. 12 miles is torn up. Traffic is being routed right thru the construction.

Crews are working both sides for every mile of the construction zone. All gravel, and hard packed dirt.

I drove N and S thru it. I was thinking on the return trip, IF Raining. I would have taken a 200 mile Detour to Avoid it !!

Also, if you start the run, you are Commited !!! No Way out, No Detours !!

Edited by GeorgeS

Thanks George for the tip... we'll try to find a better route...

OB-1, Why leave the pistol at home? Can't bury it enough on the venture?

On the interstates, guess we're just trying to mix it up a little for time sake... a lot of miles in only 7 days and need to make some time somewhere. If theres one we should miss though we may make some changes... any thoughts?

Thanks much!

On the interstates, guess we're just trying to mix it up a little for time sake... a lot of miles in only 7 days and need to make some time somewhere. If theres one we should miss though we may make some changes... any thoughts?

Thanks much!

I assume you're joking about sneaking the pistol through Canada, but incase you’re not, the likelihood of getting caught at one end or the other is high and the penalties are steep these days. Big Boy Rules apply.

You should consider hitting Bear-Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph Parkway while in the Yellowstone area. The file below may give you some additional ideas.

About 8 miles N of Missoulla , the road is completly Torn up, both ways. Total Reconstruction of the base road bed. 12 miles is torn up. Traffic is being routed right thru the construction.

Crews are working both sides for every mile of the construction zone. All gravel, and hard packed dirt.

I drove N and S thru it. I was thinking on the return trip, IF Raining. I would have taken a 200 mile Detour to Avoid it !!

Also, if you start the run, you are Commited !!! No Way out, No Detours !!

Some friends and i plan on leaving Missoula Friday the 10th. Friends going north on 93, on there way to Alaska, I will be going west to Moses Lake, Washington.

Should my friends take a different route? Such as route 83?

Thanks much!

Make sure you have a passport!

Dave